No, don't think books have gone out of style! And, while there are hundreds of thousands of examples and samples of great typography and hand lettering on the web, you really cannot do without these selected books for this year's 21 Anniversary Fall Fonts Fest! Dig in folks, you don't have much time left! August 24, 2015
There are "freebie" fonts lists, and 'freeby' fonts replicator sites coming out the ying-yang. Very few will talk about commercial fonts -- but folks, I'm here to tell'ya the commercial fonts are almost always far, far ahead in terms of quality. Some of the free fonts sites have good looking stuff, but your download them and end up with a mess on your hands. Well, not true of these -- we can stake our reputation on these fonts -- and can guarantee you'll like the way you look when you use them!
- Twisting and weaving separate strands makes Twine
- Learn the art of steel quill, and draw Escritura
- You're gonna love working with Letter Press!
- Take your publication into the Garden . . .
- Galeb Texture
August 21, 2015
Trying to find all the good stuff on type, lettering, calligraphy, typography and branding online is a monumental task. Sites like Tumblr and Pinterest now rule the bandwidth with literally millions of great samples of type and typography. So I've just picked out a very few of the ones I think merits the attention of anyone interested in visual communications. August 19, 2015
Matt Vergotis demonstrates Left handed lettering using assorted brush pens and the pilot parallel pen . . . we discovered him on Instagram . . . but in this video he shows you the action of a brush-style script. You think it's easy? Give it a try! August 14, 2015
It's that time of year and just for fun we decided to get some crazy stuff for you to enjoy! The first item is a killer ... please enjoy that one for sure! ... here we go:
- Top 10 list of the outrageously expensive Valentines Gifts
- Lots of free vector starter images for Valentine's
- Adobe Illustrator Tutorial: Be My Valentine
- A Font with emotion : My Valentines Love
- Adam McIver 16 Valentines
- Happy Valentine's Day
- ... and more !
Here we go . . . the LAST Creative Tidbits column for 2014. Say goodbye to the year, and get yourself ready to ramp up in January. A lot happened in the year, and you can go back and find more than twenty Creative columns in 2014. Have fun earning from these:
- The New Pantone 'Color of the Year' for 2015 is Pantone 18-1438 Marsala
- A New Book Examines the History of Graphic Design in California
- Royal College of Art releases GraphicsRCA: Fifty Years book
- interview with illustrator and designer jean jullien
- Artists launch street sculpture exhibit program
- Brewing up a new identity for Coffee Officina
- Illustrator is inspired by the Westcountry
- Buy A Logo - 10 Tips For Better Design
- Ten Questions for: Fernando Gutiérrez
- ... and more!
We never seem to slow down, but in many situations the creative spirit needs 'rest' -- so sit down and take it easy while you go through this week's creative tidbits. The need for creative inspiration goes on .... in this edition :
- Looking at the artwork of the Criterion Collection
- The Colorful History of California Graphic Design
- Design App is Apple's App of the Year runner-up
- A Photo Exhibit That Examines Climate Change
- Inside the Cinelli and Columbus factories
- How big data is revolutionizing design
- 6 Common Mistakes in Graphic Design
- How To Design A Killer Gig Poster
- Why Aren’t You Creative?
- ... and more! December 10, 2014
Getting ready to wrap up the year opens the slow season. However creativity for designers, illustrators, painters, photographers, typographers and anyone involved in the creative processes, or visual communications will not slow down. The need for creative inspiration goes on .... in this edition :
- Polk State Was a Beginning, and Without It, I Wouldn’t Be Where I am Today
- 5 Easy Ways To Create A Brilliant Background For Your LinkedIn Profile
- This Graphic Translates Web Design Feedback into Plain English
- LEGO BRICK: pinhole camera snaps tiny thumbnail-sized 'photos'
- I am the Jackie Robinson of Hip Hop Graphic Design!
- How optical illusions trick your brain
- Art Department Faculty Work Featured at the Kellogg Gallery
- Cincinnati Design Awards honors wide range of local projects
- ... and more!
Born on my birthday, August 18, in Seoul, South Korea, Hyung-Seung Lee could quite possibly be one of the "new masters" of this typography generation. In 2013, Hyun-Seung Lee, and two friends Dae-Hoon Hahm and Min-Joo Ham, together, designed the Core Bandi font -- and what? They're already color separated for flat-ink screen printing! WOW November 29, 2014
2015 is upon us and it's a good idea to start thinking about our creative strategies for the coming year. I am on all kinds of feeds that bring in all kinds of creative info and inspiration. It's what my Creative Updates is all about:
Art exhibit, 'Hometown Heroes,' is free and open to the public at Silver Lake College
New Metropolitan West Space Debuts With Versace Event And WorldStage Installation
Disney Fan Turns Himself into Big Hero 6's Hiro Hamada with 3D Printed Costume
Alice Babidge reinterprets a midcentury classic for Cult's ‘Chairity' Project
Student Wins Best in Show, Is Finalist in National Graphic Design Competition
The Human Printer: Making digital-quality images with nothing but marker pens
Enterprising eighth-grader launches his own publishing press
How Detroit artist Ed Fella made his mark in graphic design
Google's Quest to Write the Rulebook for Interactive Design
Designing the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition
Paper Cut-Out Typographies Inspired by Polish Architecture
Why I Will Never Hire An Art School Graduate
Textured Art: Local artist Dinett Hok ... and more! November 19, 2014