I love meeting new and creative studios and designers ... in this issue we get some news about fall of the trusted Deviant Arts web site, and how to hire friends. Well, maybe not. But one caution : web owners have lost their code of keeping links live. All over, there are tens of millions of links going dead because some web person changed a directory. No conscience. So if you encounter a dead link, please let me know. March 14, 2017
While working up some pages and Creative Tidbits for our Designing Women special I discovered the art of painting stones. I had no idea it is such a popular and wide-spread practiced art and craft. Although searches bring up literally millions of images, it is not a new art. It's one that's been practiced for thousands of years. Here are just a few of the highlights we found.
- Rock Art!: Painting and Crafting with the Humble Pebble
- How to paint rock mandalas
- Meditative Mandala Stones
- The Art of Stone Painting
- Cindy Thomas Rocks
- A gallery of pages and samples
What's more fun than Cinemagraphic GIF files, moving? Well, we've got those, along with another free font and some art photography you can enjoy. I've provided a link to see all the images as thumbnails too! Along with that we see another of those "minimal" logo collections -- are they really logos? We'll see, and we'll have a great time this this issue.
- 85 Great Art Photography Examples For Inspiration
- How To Create GIF Using Adobe Photoshop?
- InfoGraphics components you might like
- Signatura Monoline Free Typeface
- 10 Free Minimal Vector Logos
This week's Tidbits has something for everyone! We really enjoy learning opportunities, and Hannah Poindexter's piece is very good and should be part of our legendary "Brief History of Typography" series in the Type Department. Yes, and speaking of type, we do have a free font this time, and a free DTP template as well as more tips on creating your online portfolio.
We always welcome your suggestions and ideas and items for the DTG Creative staff to visit and review! Just lead us there!
- We Used To Have 6 More Letters In Our Alphabet
- This one searches Flicker to find your colors
- Essential Steps to Making a Killer Portfolio
- Clean Design Free Resume Template
- Lively Serif goes Deco
Off to a great start, and here comes February! My favorite item in this edition of Creative Tidbits is the Photo exposition from the 2016 White House photographs -- WOW! Yes, and a free font, some excellent Photoshop Text effects and how to 'fix' Design cannibalism ... a great issue this week and remember, you can always suggest items for the DTG Creative staff to visit and review! Just lead us there!
- 6 Steps To Creating A Knockout Online Portfolio
- Rosarina Font: speak softly, carry a big stick
- 2016 White House in Photographs
- Problem: Design cannibalism
- Photoshop Cool Text Effects
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2017 ... here we are, kicking off another trip around the sun with lots of creative inspiration and discoveries from the worlds of visual communications, arts, design, graphics, typography, animation, web design, video, movies and just about all other forms of visual graphic arts! AND -- welcome to our 27th year online with DT&G and the Design & Publishing Center!
- What’s The Use of Fonts In Use with Stephen Coles
- Best album cover art 2016: Best Art Vinyl Awards
- John Jennings on Graphic Arts and Afrocentricism
- Design Week’s 10 biggest stories of 2016
- 4 graphic designs that rocked in 2016
Happy New Year! Here's hoping your 2017 is creative, fun and healthy! Get involved and enjoy the creative experience -- share your experiences with DTG readers, and stop in to check out the year in creative tidbits!
- WORK: Unit's two new books on cover art created for design magazines
- Why Do One In Two Landing Pages Feel Like Email Clickbait?
- 5 Common Mistakes You’re Making With Your Email Signature
- Design and the Evolution of a Typographic Paper Promo
- Doing awesome stuff with type and images
Creative Tidbits #220: Creative Tidbits #220: 5 Questions, future of design, design in 2017, getting paid and more
As we ramp down the year, I've got this and one other Creative Tidbit and then it's careening into 2017 with reckless abandon! Please let me know of your favorites from 2016, and what you'd like to see in the new year! It'll be fun for us all ! Enjoy!
- Five Questions: Graphic designer Gil Shuler has changed the city
- Universities aren’t the future of design education
- Website trends that will shape web design in 2017
- 3 Ways To Get Paid For Your Creativity
- 36 Days of Type by Sergi Delgado
It's always rewarding to read a young upstart revealing the lessons I've taught in my seminars and workshops for well over two and a half decades. In 2006 Alex White, that famous type and design expert wrote DT&G to explain "white space", now those lessons show up in our Creative Tidbits 219! But there's more and we hope you have a great time . . .
- Using White Space: How Emptiness Can Give So Much to Design
- A collection of Art Nouveau doors from around the world
- The Future of Design (and how to prepare for it)
- Understanding the Power of Visual Advertising
- Digging the Street Art of Rubén Sánchez
Well into the holiday season, here are some select holiday goodies, and some other interesting items including those Black Friday infographics! Creative inspiration is where you find it... finding cool stuff over the holidays? Give us a tip!
- Follow These Three Tips for Designing the Perfect Podcast Icon
- Do You Know Your (Paper) ABCs? Grade, Basis Weight, and Finish
- 100 Free Flat Christmas Icons
- Black Friday Infographic(s)
- 1 of 12