Thanks to Shweiki Publishing for passing along these tips -- all of which are free online services that can take the place of ones you have to pay for. Even if you're a pro, these services are good to know about. If you try any, please let me know your reactions! August 5, 2014
David Pilcher sums it up beautifully, there's just nothing quite like a glossy magazine cover! Standing at the magazine rack/stand in your favorite grocery or pharmacy, you see a broad spectrum of selections in print. They're all beautiful, but they're all practical. Printed brochures, cards, booklets and other marketing materials give you something to hold and touch. But there's more in this edition of DTG Publishing Update:
[+] Research proves media brands must supplement — not supplant — print
[+] As newspaper revenues decline, print media stocks rise
[+] Why You Should Still Try To Get Print Media Coverage
[+] The enduring pull of the glossy magazine cover
[+] 5 facts about the news business today
[+] Papering over e-books
[+] Choose Print: Touch
-- and more ... June 11, 2014
Just watch as we move into the summer with travel, leisure, vacations ... what do you see? People reading. What are they reading? Print and print media. Why? because it's more comfortable, and it travels well. But there's more in this edition of DTG Publishing Update:
[+] Publisher's Paradox: The Irony of Print in a Digital World
[+] Wolff: Putting journalism cart before advertising horse
[+] The 3 keys to a multi-media transformation storyline
[+] Rem Rieder: Is journalism entering a golden age?
[+] Water-Based Printing Could Eliminate Paper Waste
[+] Time to dismantle the newspaper factory culture
[+] Making a first impression with words
-- and more ... May 29, 2014
With all the news of security breaches, hacking, loss of privacy, and global spying we may be seeing the shift back to printed publications. Here are several good articles and resources for anyone involved in the print industry:
[+] The No. 1 reason for optimism about the future of newspapers? Our audiences
[+] Printing Profits Still Struggling, but Rebound from Q4-2012
[+] Why you should engage with other print providers online
[+] How publishers can prepare for new advertising sales model
[+] 20 Traits of Successful Nonprofit Publishers
[+] How tablets have changed publishing
[+] Can 30-second ads save newspapers?
[+] Could newspapers outlive the Web?
and more ... May 22, 2014
We haven't had a publishing update in some time. Most have been moved into our marketing, web, or media updates. Publishing is not dead, and even though most people these days think publishing means Facebook or Twitter or Tumblr -- but seriously, there's more to it than that . . .
* Media study reveals preferred methods of delivery for different messages
* Ready to bust some print and paper myths?
* Is digital really greener than paper?
* The Power of Paper -- literally
* Make your content matter
-- and more ... March 3, 2014
Since releasing ActivePrint on the popular Apple iOS platform, a huge community of ActivePrint users has been created who are interested in printing from their iPads and iPhones without being limited to a select few models of printers from just one brand. This community has been a great resource for developing the new ActivePrint 10! February 25, 2014
The Kelmscott/Goudy hand press will finally find its home in the renowned Cary Graphic Arts Collection -- The highest bidder at the Christie’s auction for the Kelmscott/Goudy Albion iron hand press No. 6551 was Rochester Institute of Technology’s Cary Graphic Arts Collection. The press, manufactured by Hopkinson & Cope in 1891, sold for $233,000 on Dec. 6. It will arrive on the RIT campus within the next few weeks. December 18, 2013
As we move into June publishing has mixed news from the death knoll to new profits and opportunities -- keeping print relevant, serif vs sans, comeback for magazines and more . . . here's the latest publishing update:
* Why printers must ask themselves, 'Is my business irreplaceable?'
* Smarter direct mail: Advances in print that can boost ROI
* How print stays relevant in a digital world
* Survey: Dramatic Q1 plunge in print profits
* The final battle between serif and sans
* Web sparks print comeback for magazines
* Print delivers your message
* Paper is eco-friendly
and more ... June 3, 2013
So publishing now emerges from the world of 'big data' and who can predict what's going to happen with publishing brands . . . here's the latest publishing update:
* As loophole allows end to some Saturday USPS deliveries, magazines explore alternate options
* International Survey of Industry Consultants Reveals Predictions For The Future Of Print
* Business printing, branding and your costs May 27, 2013
Dig in and target the right market. Although ebooks now outsell print, there's still a huge and ready market . . . here's the latest publishing update:
* Survey: 87 percent of US magazine and newspaper publishers have an iPad app
* Printed customer communications — marketing opportunity or inconvenience?
* 75% of Advertisers Use Social Ads, Half Integrate With Print
* Global newspaper trends: Readership remains high
* To print or not to print? That is the question
* Mobile2Print: the future of print?
* Print Media's Digital Malpractice
* Copyright smarts
and more ... May 20, 2013