How many times have you faced a whole folder of images that needed the same tweak? Or you've got dozens of photos that need to be optimized for web use? You've used PS Elements for this, but it's just so darn limited -- and PSD isn't much better. You might want to take a look at Image Smith! October 11, 2016
I have a pile of freebies, and just haven't gotten around to including them -- but I'll start including some of them now. Also, an important item for web designers in this issue -- the typography thing between web sites and mobile sites is really a nightmare. Otherwise it's all fun and all good this issue so have a good time!
- Free: Vector Florals, Avatars, Patterns, Shapes and Banners
- Free: Fun Swirls, Doodles, Shapes, Balloons & Cakes
- Free Stuff : Minimalist Sports Icons
- Sally DaBronzo Free Printables
- Typography is impossible
Sometimes we run across something really intriguing and we have to follow up on it -- we were told all about Luc Devroye's article on whether or not Adobe actually created the Cronos font! But there's more -- some nice freebies in this edition, and a young lady doing some remarkable art with type and letterforms! Have fun . . .
- Does Adobe steal fonts? How close are they?
- Posterama Sans Serif, Display with attitude!
- Charmante is a charming little font
- Trying fonts online ... again
- Type on the sidewalk
It's been some time since our last publishing update. Sorry! But seriously, Don't Print The Obituary For The Printing Industry Just Yet! The printing and print publishing industry has never really gone out of style, nor has it slacked off. Yes, it has changed, but the digital age has taken over -- there's a lot of graphic design, typography, photography and illustration still being printed with ink on paper! The graphic design community is still about 80% occupied by print. This is the Publishing Update of the Design & Publishing Center, so we'll consider all realms of publishing! Jump on board . . .
- To Perfect Bind or Saddle Stitch — That is the Question
- 3 kinds of content that are killing digital publishing
- The Importance of Longform Content for Your Website
- Why ‘Easy’ Publishing Solutions Hardly Ever Are
- How digital publishers measure their influence
- Think You'll Outsource Your Content Marketing?
- A Script to Show Options for Placed Files
Moving on into the 4th surf, we'll visit some interesting locations and people. The people are what makes this job so special -- getting to meet people and see what's cookin' in the world of fonts and typography! Follow along . . .
- Nexa Rust font for natural looks - it's a Free Font
- Everybody needs a little Water in their fonts
- From Sea to Shining Sea Vintage Signs
- Jeboy! Script type with style!
- The lost art of Penmanship
Moving on into the 3rd surf for the month, we'll see some new stuff, a new Goudy -- a new Avant, and with the help of Steven Heller and Louise Fili we'll visit some historic fonts!
- Another Marguerite font? Yes, and this one's better!
- ITC Goudy Sans: the different sans serif typefaces
- Slab Serif Type: A Century of Bold Letterforms
- A new Sans in the Avant Garde tradition
- Simpleness Display Free Typeface
Bridget Haina, accomplished design educator discusses the Gestalt Principles of Design. For more than a century, and thousands of hours of research and study, these lessons have been established as the most important factors of visual design -- for all designers! Thank you Bridget for helping get visual designers on the right track! September 13, 2016
Welcome to September, and the opening of Fall!
- Wow... our 22nd annual FONTS FESTIVAL!
- 22nd Fonts Fest: moving type, type for lawyers, cancer type and more
- Typographer's Majestic Treasure Chest with 45 awesome caligraphic fonts
- FFF #2: A Tattoo font, some calligraphy, a weird sans, . . . a slab and even a caps marker font!
- Photoshop Madness: Add A Realistic Old Photo Effect To Any Photo with Photoshop
- 60-Seconds #336 : You Are Annoying Your Customers? Do you know why?
- Creative Tidbits #213: the world's ugliest color, beyond CMYK. . . free photos, icons and more
- VIDEO Tutorial : How To Make Images Look Old using Photoshop
- Marketing Update : ad strategies, food trends, direct mail, making money and more
- 5 Signs That It's Time to Update Your Website
- Social Media Update : Celebrity Posts, Facebook Likes, Twitter Tactics, . . . media failures and more
- Ad Blockers : ad poison, skip button, pernicious Facebook,
- . . . Adblock, WSJ, reader blocking
- A Sad day for P22
- The end of the Publishers' Warehouse
- Autumn is here... gearing up
Learn how to take details from an old photo, and apply them to a new photo to make your image look old in Photoshop. Also included is a Photoshop file of the border we use in this tutorial! From Photoshop Tutorials by PHLEARN August 31, 2016
Close on the heels of the last fonts surf, we kick off #2 and this time we're concentrating on some very cool fonts you can download and use for free! We're trying to pick through the thousands of new fonts hitting the scene each year just to find a few we don't mind passing along to you!
- Kady puts slab serifs into Ansley Display
- Erial- free typeface by Kolcsár Sz. Zsolt
- Do you really hate marker type faces?
- Talisman Handcrafted Typeface
- Mom Font Family
- 1 of 2