DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 21, #07 ~ July, 2011
- Welcome to JULY
- Design Graduates of 2011
- Photoshop Pen Tool Drawing Savvy
- Tutorial: Retouching skin in Photoshop
- Photoshop Madness: help those photos
- Feature: Allen Babbitt: Un-still Photography
- Professional Portrait Retouching Techniques
- Apps: Ancient Calligraphers on iPad
- Marketing Updates during June:
- Web Design Updates from June
- Media Updates from June:
- Will E-Books Become the Next Napster?
- High Performance Database Management
- AMAZING video about stolen Mac
- &Else - news, views, reviews, and else...
- Mailbag: Awesome video
- Mailbag: Letterpress is Like Violin Playing
- JULY: take photos, go places
Remember: This newsletter is sent via email as an ASCII text email to all our subscribers on or around the first of each month. If you'd rather get this via email, then we invite you to subscribe.
Our July issue again poses the question "What Does Freedom Mean to You" with an invitation to participate by making your own image montage. Describe your thoughts, emotions, reflections and interpretations of "freedom" or "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" into a montage image and send it in. All submissions accepted for publication in the Design Center Gallery will receive a gift from the Designers' Bookshelf. Not only will it give you a feeling of great accomplishment -- you'll get the opportunity to show your montage skills among the pages of DTG!
This spring many designers, illustrators, photographers and visual communicators have graduated from design/art school -- and we thank everyone for participating in this year's Design Graguation promo. We've added in those who wrote in to share reflections during June. (If you're one of our published graduates this spring, just contact me with your snail-mail address so I can send out your graduation gift, courtesy of the Designers' Bookshelf!)
Design Graduates of 2011
One of the least used tools and processes in Photoshop are the pen tools and vector drawing. People just seem to forget them in Photoshop in favor of Illustrator. By the time you finish this five-page tutorial, sent in by Fatma, you'll be a
Photoshop Vector Expert!
Shooting this summer? Shooting at the beach? Shooting at sporting events? Chances are, you'll get some shiny, oily, perspiring skin to deal with! Thanks to Chris - IZA Tuto - this tutorial on skin retouching shows some savvy technique all beginner to intermediate Photoshop users should know -- how to clear oily and shiny skin (often referred to as hotspots)
Tutorial: Retouching skin in Photoshop
So you're out there shooting up a memory card with photos and you get home to discover -- these shots suck! Well, this edition of Photoshop Madness offers some quick cure
Photoshop actions and retouching to turn BLAH into WOW!
A hand tremor is not high on the list of desires for most photographers, so when Alan noticed his hand shaking, and found out he had Parkinson's, all he could say was "Uh oh." Yet art photographer Alan Babbitt has turned his Parkinson's tremor into an innovative art technique
-- Un-Still Photography
Scott Kelby has published a lot of books, but I believe "Professional Portrait Retouching Techniques for Photographers using Photoshop" is one of his best books! This one has it all!
Professional Portrait Retouching Techniques
Calligraphy is an art that anyone can practice. If you can write a letter, you can create calligraphy in a really beautiful way with many different styles, dating from 2000 years ago to the modern hands.
Now it's on your iPad
This is an interesting marketing update edition because the big shift is from traditional methods of marketing to online efforts. Is this the slippery slope? Don't know, but it is running rampant ...
* How to Automate Your Social Media Marketing Efforts
* 5 Ideas to Market Your Company in the Digital Age
* Top Subject Lines for a Birthday Loyalty Program
* Direct mail marketing bouncing back with economy
* Direct mail marketing bouncing back with economy
* Reconciling Traditional and Digital Marketing
* Researchers To Marketers: Go Social, Mobile
* Snow White, 7 online marketing sins
* Social Content Seeding for SEO
* 8 Tips For 'Social' Marketing
* The golden age of advertising
... and more
This edition of Web Update follows the last edition digging deeper into new considerations for all web designers...
 HOW TO: Get Your Employees On Board With Your Social Media Policy
 How to Use Blog Commenting to Get Valuable Backlinks and Traffic
 11 ways to find new content for your social strategy
 Website redesign: Relaunching without losing sleep
 Why Websites Are Slow & Why Speed Really Matters
 17 Twitter tips from Mashable Connect attendees
 How much traffic should your website generate?
 How to Make SEO Part of Your Company's DNA
 Top 4 Reasons to Hire an SEO Professional
 Making That Leap From Search to Display
 How to Properly Optimize Your Content
 The demographics of social media
 Get started with Google Analytics
 Tips for mobile SEO
... and more
Web Design Updates
Social Media is taking over, so appropriately, we're covering some of the highlights in the media that can help you make the most of it ... enjoy :
* Is Sharing More Valuable for Publishers on Facebook or Twitter?
* Facebook Test Mines Real-Time Conversations for Ad Targeting
* Five Ways to Make Communicating Web Analytics Data Easier
* 5 Strategic Secrets No One Tells You About Social Media
* How to Use LinkedIn Today to Find Popular Content
* 3 Advanced Approaches to Web Analytics Tagging
* 7 Steps to the Perfect Social Media Plan
* Twitter tip: Tweet on the weekend
* 5 LinkedIn Tips You Didn't Know
* Ad Growing Pains for Twitter
* Analyzing the metered model
* What's Next for LinkedIn?
... and more
The book industry has been hit hard by the recession - very hard. (You know publishers are desperate when they start embracing online content curation.) And now there's even more news to raise the industry's blood pressure ...
Will E-Books Become the Next Napster?
cubeSQL is a fully featured and high performance relational database management system built on top of the SQlite database engine on Windows, Mac, and Linux .
High Performance Database Management
Recover stolen laptop? Here's the amazing video of how California police recovered a stolen laptop after a software program sent its owner photos and evidence taken on the Mac's camera. Share this, friend this, tweet and retweet this:
AMAZING video about stolen Mac
Fresh Feed for Mac - news notifiers for Mac OS X
Cookies on your Mac OS X
the popular cookie and browser history management utility for Mac OS X just got updated with some cool new features
Video Publishing a no brainer
One-Click Publishing is a high quality, affordable ad-free video publishing service available directly from within video capture products like iShowU, iShowU HD and iShowU HD Pro
Help AT&T users Switch to Verizon
The iPhone and iPad have become de facto devices for graphic designers everywhere. But "everywhere" doesn't always mean "everywhere" and one lament we're hearing is AT&T isn't getting the job done. What to do? There isn't an easy way... but this might work!
Tiny Marvel for Small Business
This tiny marvel delivers rechargeable barcode scanning and asset organization for small business. With a stunning industrial design, rechargeable battery, included inventory software, and integration with the apps Mac and PC users utilize most
Imagerie got layers
Here's a unique new image editor built for Mac OS X -- designed for the most daily tasks ; built with a very modern core engine
Real World Color Matching
The toughest challenge many graphic designers encounter is matching digital color to real world color. It's fine until it leaves the computer... This app may be a life saver!
All these and more in this month's &Else columns
Don't know if you've seen this yet, but thanks to Z Hahn, we got to enjoy this knock-out video! Take a minute or so and watch this ... all the while, consider how much work went into the making of the film!
Mailbag: Awesome video
Sabine Lenz sent in this interesting article... Letterpress is making a come-back, and here's some insight ...
Letterpress is Like Violin Playing
Here's our 21st annual Design July edition.
* July is brought to you by the color "LAVA" -
* July is (also) brought to you by the Letter "J"
UPCOMING: MORE Photo Retouching Tips and tutorials from the masters
We have a special series coming up from Scott Kelby and others, to help you get the most out of your summer photography! All during July.
BACK to (Design) School -- Yup, you guessed it! August is our back to design school month, and we'll be previewing training and learning opportunities plus more educational tutorials and book excerpts from the masters.
Can you suggest a graphics or design book to read? If you can, share your review with DTG readers and win a new book for back to school!
Also, our guys at the Publishers' Warehouse have really gotten into the patriotic mood for the July issue... and they've uploaded dozens of good resource art, clip art and even some fun stuff to celebrate July. Take along some of their coloring pages and keep the kids occupied on vacation while you lay back at the tiki bar!
And, as for this month, well, you've already wasted a perfectly good hour reading the DTG newsletter. Hopefully all is not wasted and you've gained at least one helpful tidbit of info.
Editor / Publisher, DT&G Magazine
The problem, not a theory, nor a style,
determines the solution."
Graphic Design & Publishing Center
Don't forget ... we encourage you to share your discoveries about favorite or famous graphic designers and illustrators with other readers. Just contact me.
- Subscribe to DTG News so you'll get the email each month!
- Send in your tutorials - Share with all our readers
- Show us your Portfolio? - We'd like to see your work
- JOIN DTG on FaceBook - we're having lots of fun there
- Follow on Twitter - Get the news as it happens
- Follow on RSS - Full listings of content
- Contact us - Let us know what's happening with you
- Contribute articles - Our readers would like to hear from you
- Contribute support - Help us keep this free publication online
- Get Linked - Text Links and Newsletter posts in DTG
-------------------------------------------------------------------- ........ The Design & Publishing Center's DT&G Magazine ....... ...... is the longest established electronic publication ...... .............. in the industry with continuing ................ ........... high content/low noise information for ............ . designers, publishers, and communication arts practitioners . ............... http://www.graphic-design.com/ ................ ............ copyright 2011, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED .............. --------------------------------------------------------------------