DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 22, #11 ~ November, 2012
- November: Designing Holidays
- Photoshop Tutorial : Simulating Photoshop 3D Text
- Photoshop Tutorial: Create a Custom Photoshop Brush Set
- The Adobe Illustrator CS6 WOW! Book
- Gallery, Field Trip : Photo Manipulation at its very best!
- Transform your Photos and Videos into Professional Pencil Drawings
- Books : Extraordinary gifts you'll make by hand
- Wedding Photography: Snapshots to Great Shots
- 60 seconds: 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People
- Photo Sense: The Easiest Photo Editing Software for Mac and iOS
- Kick off the Holidays with Painting Apps for iPad
- 60 seconds : Fun with politics (for once!)
- Social Media Update : into the holidays
- Design - CREATIVE Tidbits : from Vignelli to PANTONE
- Web Design Update
- November Thanks for all you do
During the holiday season we ask Design CAFE subscribers to comment on their favorite holiday promotions, folding cards, and creative ideas. Please send in yours for publication in December. Don't forget, the Holidays Jumpstation and Holidays Loading Dock will be opening soon with lots of new and old stuff for you to discover.
Most of the time there are any number of ways to accomplish the same effect. Those of you who do not have a version of Photoshop with 3D, or do not have 3D capabilities, this great tutorial from Artorius Design shows you how to do it in most other programs!Photoshop Tutorial : Simulating Photoshop 3D Text
Over the years, the Photoshop 911 Emergency Room has gotten numerous inquiries about creating custom brushes. Here's another great tutorial from Ainsley who makes a difficult topic seem simple.Photoshop Tutorial: Create a Custom Photoshop Brush Set
I recently got a comment that people no longer buy books because they can get it all online. Well, that may be true for some things -- but NOT Illustrator! Sure, it's easy to run some filters over a photo and become a 'Photoshop Expert' ... but try creating some good art in Illustrator and you see it's a totally different ball game. If you want to kick some butt with Adobe Illustrator, you need the WOW book!The Adobe Illustrator CS6 WOW! Book
We just had to share the work of Erik Johansson, in Gothenburg, Sweden! Erik is a highly talented photo-illustrator and photo journalist who creates some of the most awesome photo manipulation you'll ever see! Gallery, Field Trip : Photo Manipulation at its very best!
Insatiable Genius has released PencilFX 1.0, its new photo effects app for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Unrivaled by current methods, PencilFX transforms your photos and videos into realistically rendered images and sequences that are comparable only to professional pencil drawings. While maintaining the clarity of the original image, PencilFX gives you ability to create a truly unique result. Transform your Photos and Videos into Professional Pencil Drawings
Books make great gifts, I think we can all agree. But you've heard the saying "teach a man to fish, you feed a village". These books teach you how to make some extraordinary gift items from paper objects to books, to cards. Arm yourself with these and you can make stunning gifts for everyone! :
* The Practical Step-by-Step Guide to Making Pop-Ups & Novelty Cards
* 500 Handmade Books: Inspiring Interpretations of a Timeless Form
* Painted Paper: Techniques & Projects for Handmade Books & Cards
* Pop-Up: Everything You Need to Create Your Own Pop-Up Book
* Creative Cards: 40 Projects for Invitations, Cards, Gifts
* Handmade Holiday Cards from 20th-Century Artists
* Simple and Stunning : Handmade Art Nouveau Cards
* Cards that Pop Up, Flip & Slide
... and moreBooks : Extraordinary gifts you'll make by hand
Nothing strikes fear in the heart of most amateur photographers like having someone say "will you be my wedding photographer?" In fact, many wedding photographers aren't up to the challenge of taking great shots instead of snap shots. That's where Designing Woman Suzy Clement comes in! Wedding Photography: Snapshots to Great Shots
In today's over-saturated media world, it's outstanding that someone still teaches these design principles. Young designers are getting their education from YouTube, tutorial pushers and tens of thousands of unqualified bloggers. Dr. Susan Weinschenk teaches you lessons of how people see and think -- important lessons for visual communicators and graphic designers. Learn them well.
Photo Sense is a powerful, but very easy to use photo editing software for Mac OS and iOS ... it's designed to make photographs more attractive quickly and easily, without spending a lot of time and money on learning, purchasing, and using professional photo manipulation software.Photo Sense: The Easiest Photo Editing Software for Mac and iOS
We're moving toward the gift and photo season, and these apps make great companions to your iPad or other compatible tablet.
* Photogene is about improving your digital photos
* TurboCollage Ð Collage Creator for iPad
* Bill Atkinson PhotoCard Lite
* Camera Flash PRO for iPad 2
* Auto Adjust
* PaintMee HD
. . . and moreKick off the Holidays with Painting Apps for iPad
Well, if you're like me, you've probably had your fill of politics and the elections. So this morning, when my rep at Dover gave me these leads, it occurred to me it's time to have a little fun! If nothing else, just looking at these may provide some relief from all the hype! Yes, it's the Political Inaction Figures and Inaction Circus 60 seconds : Fun with politics (for once!)
You know that once the elections are over things will settle back in to normal -- except with the holidays coming on, the buy season shifts into high gear and social media can be a real boost -- good information for all online users, designers and marketers :
* 30 tweets worth reading, retweeting, and maybe even printing out from
* The best day of the week for brands to tweet and update Facebook
* 5 things more important than Facebook page engagement
* 6 ways to avoid a personal PR crisis on social media
* 7 goals of successful community management strategy
* Discover more about your audience with social media
* Optimizing Facebook engagement: The timing of posts
* 7 Secrets to Getting More from LinkedIn
* 7 Tips for Creating a Social Media Plan
* What's your social media strategy?
* Humanize your social media
.... and the continuing world of social media and networkingSocial Media Update : into the holidays
Creativity can come when you least suspect it. These are extra juicy idea-starters! Follow along with this edition of Creative Tidbits:
* This is New York: Massimo Vignelli on Childhood, Discipline, and Design
* Legend: Harry Potter's Graphic Designers Launch Fine Art Prints
* GDUSA Reader Survey: Stock Imagery is a Designer's Best Friend
* PANTONE SkinTone Guide Launched for Matching Skin Tones
* The Batman '66 Project: A Graphic Design Love Letter
* 10 Illustrations From The Dawn Of Graphic Design
* Framing Film: Cinema and the Visual Arts
* A Deluge of Design
* Art in Miniature
* Flying colours
... and moreDesign - CREATIVE Tidbits : from Vignelli to PANTONE
We move into the fall and holiday seasons with these Web Trends, tips and tricks :
* Aligning SEO strategy and social media activity to build links
* An SEO's ultimate post-Penguin checklist [INFOGRAPHIC]
* How To Remove Your Unnatural Inbound Links
* 4 Easy-to-Use Tools for Building Websites
* The long-term greed-ification of the Web
* Keeping competitive analysis healthy
.... and the continuing online worldWeb Design Update
November is brought to you by the letter "N"
November is brought to you by "BROWN" the colors of autumn leaves, and roast turkey!And here's a fun freebie : Use a Sharpie marker on wax paper to simulate stained glass. The Design Bookshelf will continue and expand. Book sales through Amazon have been one of our ONLY sources of revenue, but it has slacked off. People just aren't buying books any longer. So Please, click on a book, or click that icon to the right on any page in the Design Center to help us out. We want to thank everyone who has bought a book at www.design-bookshelf.com . Please do your Holiday shopping here. Okay?
There is more. A lot more. But, alas, this month's newsletter must close. We'll keep you posted as things happen around here. 2013 will be a year of great challenges, and great change. We're looking forward to it and predict it will be the finest year yet for the Design Center. Please stay with us and enjoy.We want to hear from you! Save those unique promotional items you collect over the holidays. Send in your self-promotion ideas and holiday promotional "finds" so we can all share the wealth of creative holiday ideas.All month long we'll be adding new items, both editorial and file downloads, to the Design Center Departments. Have a fulfilling November and keep your browser aimed at: www.graphic-design.com for all the news as it breaks. Friends, we can't run this show without YOUR help. Tell us what YOU do best... show us a thumbnail or two. Let's talk. ... looking forward to a wonderful Holiday Season with you! And, as those two remarkable brothers Click & Clack say, "You've wasted another perfectly good hour... " but we hope you've found something fun, inspirational or beneficial. Until December, Go forth and be creative ...
thanks for reading!
Parting words for November...
"Let us be thankful for the fools.
But for them the rest of us could not succeed."
Graphic Design & Publishing Center
Don't forget ... we encourage you to share your discoveries about favorite or famous graphic designers and illustrators with other readers. Just contact me.
- Subscribe to DTG News so you'll get the email each month!
- Send in your tutorials - Share with all our readers
- Show us your Portfolio? - We'd like to see your work
- JOIN DTG on FaceBook - we're having lots of fun there
- Follow on Twitter - Get the news as it happens
- Follow on RSS - Full listings of content
- Contact us - Let us know what's happening with you
- Contribute articles - Our readers would like to hear from you
- Contribute support - Help us keep this free publication online
- Get Linked - Text Links and Newsletter posts in DTG
-------------------------------------------------------------------- ........ The Design & Publishing Center's DT&G Magazine ....... ...... is the longest established electronic publication ...... .............. in the industry with continuing ................ ........... high content/low noise information for ............ . designers, publishers, and communication arts practitioners . ............... http://www.graphic-design.com/ ................ ............ copyright 2012, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED .............. --------------------------------------------------------------------