After about a decade of fonts festivals -- once YouTube became main stream -- videos about type, calligraphy, lettering and typography began to become available on the web! For the past four years or so videos on the subject have proliferated -- today there are tens of thousands of videos online all about typography. Some are just typing with music. Many are instructional. Here are just a few we've picked out for this year's venue -- but offer a lot of opportunities once you begin to discover their authors. Have fun August 28, 2015
Celebrating Lynda this month, we get a FREE Photoshop and Illustrator tutorial from Lynda.com -- Deke McClelland shows you how to create a type treatment similar to the one used in the logo for The Hobbit, and an invitation to the FREE Lynda.com traning pages for DTG readers! August 28, 2015
This issue visits two distinctively different creative resources in typography -- first, we'll meet Casey Ligon and her wonderfully fresh type and lettering designs, then move on to a striking poster by Franz Werner! Follow along . . . August 26, 2015
Here we go kicking off the twenty-first annual fonts festival. Kind of hard to believe we started this in 1994! Where were you in 1994? My favorite part of the annual fonts fest is just searching for cool entries and resources to share with the DT&G readers! August 26, 2015
No, don't think books have gone out of style! And, while there are hundreds of thousands of examples and samples of great typography and hand lettering on the web, you really cannot do without these selected books for this year's 21 Anniversary Fall Fonts Fest! Dig in folks, you don't have much time left! August 24, 2015
There are "freebie" fonts lists, and 'freeby' fonts replicator sites coming out the ying-yang. Very few will talk about commercial fonts -- but folks, I'm here to tell'ya the commercial fonts are almost always far, far ahead in terms of quality. Some of the free fonts sites have good looking stuff, but your download them and end up with a mess on your hands. Well, not true of these -- we can stake our reputation on these fonts -- and can guarantee you'll like the way you look when you use them!
- Twisting and weaving separate strands makes Twine
- Learn the art of steel quill, and draw Escritura
- You're gonna love working with Letter Press!
- Take your publication into the Garden . . .
- Galeb Texture
August 21, 2015
Trying to find all the good stuff on type, lettering, calligraphy, typography and branding online is a monumental task. Sites like Tumblr and Pinterest now rule the bandwidth with literally millions of great samples of type and typography. So I've just picked out a very few of the ones I think merits the attention of anyone interested in visual communications. August 19, 2015
Matt Vergotis demonstrates Left handed lettering using assorted brush pens and the pilot parallel pen . . . we discovered him on Instagram . . . but in this video he shows you the action of a brush-style script. You think it's easy? Give it a try! August 14, 2015
It's that time of year and just for fun we decided to get some crazy stuff for you to enjoy! The first item is a killer ... please enjoy that one for sure! ... here we go:
- Top 10 list of the outrageously expensive Valentines Gifts
- Lots of free vector starter images for Valentine's
- Adobe Illustrator Tutorial: Be My Valentine
- A Font with emotion : My Valentines Love
- Adam McIver 16 Valentines
- Happy Valentine's Day
- ... and more !
Here we go . . . the LAST Creative Tidbits column for 2014. Say goodbye to the year, and get yourself ready to ramp up in January. A lot happened in the year, and you can go back and find more than twenty Creative columns in 2014. Have fun earning from these:
- The New Pantone 'Color of the Year' for 2015 is Pantone 18-1438 Marsala
- A New Book Examines the History of Graphic Design in California
- Royal College of Art releases GraphicsRCA: Fifty Years book
- interview with illustrator and designer jean jullien
- Artists launch street sculpture exhibit program
- Brewing up a new identity for Coffee Officina
- Illustrator is inspired by the Westcountry
- Buy A Logo - 10 Tips For Better Design
- Ten Questions for: Fernando Gutiérrez
- ... and more!