Yupo Corporation America, a leading global manufacturer of synthetic paper, has announced the winners of the 2016 Wally Awards, the company’s annual design competition. This paper gives beautiful print reproduction -- it's water-proof and tear-resistant -- plus tree-free recyclability! October 22, 2016
Although there are all kinds of color filter generators online, and, you've probably developed your own tricks and workflows, you should never pass up the opportunity to work with yet another image manipulation filter. We had a lot of fun with this one, and I think you'll benefit here too! October 20, 2016
Here we go with some fun items that will get those creative juices flowing! From the guy who designed the Apple logo to minimalism, colors and even Pokemon helping design and event planners . . . here's this edition of Creative Tidbits menu:
- 12 Things Event Planners Can Learn From Pokemon Go
- Can your color be seen? Online Color Testing
- Jony is an ambassador of minimalist Design
- Free Flat 2017 Calendar Template
- Rob Janoff on his logo for Apple
How many times have you faced a whole folder of images that needed the same tweak? Or you've got dozens of photos that need to be optimized for web use? You've used PS Elements for this, but it's just so darn limited -- and PSD isn't much better. You might want to take a look at Image Smith! October 11, 2016
Let's have some fun this week -- it's October and time for Halloween! Aside from our Halloween stuff, we have some interesting intelligence that could get some thoughts going, and a quick peek at a new iPhone photo feature or bug! Happy autumn!
- Why the iPhone 7 Has to Simulate a Shallow Depth of Field
- A designer’s tales: Role of graphic design in society
- iPhone Stand For Business, Trade-Shows And Events
- Searching for Plagiarism Checkers
In this edition of our publishing update we look at some deep journalism vehicles as well as sponsoring content and academic publishing. Don't forget that digital publishing is only a part of the picture -- the print publishing industry is robust and doing well!
- How millennials interact with long-form journalism on mobile devices
- Editorial and Sales Can Collaborate to Maximize Revenue
- Is Your Publishing Toolkit As Strong As It Can Be?
- Programmatic Publishing: Repurposing Ad Tech
- Sponsored Content And Editorial Integrity
- Academic Publishing Is All About Status
- Rekindling the Passion for Print
- Counteracting Content Shock
I have a pile of freebies, and just haven't gotten around to including them -- but I'll start including some of them now. Also, an important item for web designers in this issue -- the typography thing between web sites and mobile sites is really a nightmare. Otherwise it's all fun and all good this issue so have a good time!
- Free: Vector Florals, Avatars, Patterns, Shapes and Banners
- Free: Fun Swirls, Doodles, Shapes, Balloons & Cakes
- Free Stuff : Minimalist Sports Icons
- Sally DaBronzo Free Printables
- Typography is impossible
It's been some time since our last publishing update. Sorry! But seriously, Don't Print The Obituary For The Printing Industry Just Yet! The printing and print publishing industry has never really gone out of style, nor has it slacked off. Yes, it has changed, but the digital age has taken over -- there's a lot of graphic design, typography, photography and illustration still being printed with ink on paper! The graphic design community is still about 80% occupied by print. This is the Publishing Update of the Design & Publishing Center, so we'll consider all realms of publishing! Jump on board . . .
- To Perfect Bind or Saddle Stitch — That is the Question
- 3 kinds of content that are killing digital publishing
- The Importance of Longform Content for Your Website
- Why ‘Easy’ Publishing Solutions Hardly Ever Are
- How digital publishers measure their influence
- Think You'll Outsource Your Content Marketing?
- A Script to Show Options for Placed Files
Here we are in the fall and you know what that means? The Typography department people are going to be working around the clock for this year's Fall Fonts Festival, and so I'm thinking I'll give'em a hand with the Creative Tidbits columns this month. . . Have fun and if YOU have a creative tidbit to report, please send it in!
- Pantone launches new vibrant app for digital-savvy designers and colour enthusiasts
- The World's Ugliest Color Examined By Graphic Design Experts
- Free Stuff : Ioana Baltesiu's Stylish Icons
- Beyond CMYK – New InfoTrends Study
- Safe Haven for those who admire
- Hefalo Script ~ fresh and fun!
- Time Travel with Jenna
Everyone and their brother seems to a logo designer and logo design expert these days, no matter how much (or little) experience they've had -- and without the slightest mention of a formal education. Blogs hum, faceless unknowns pontificate logo design, and there's even a "logo of the day" site. One popular logo blogger has climbed to unimaginable popularity with "lists" of logos regurgitated from other people's sites and no content of his own. Facebook, Tumblr and LinkedIn buzz with "logo designing" experts from all over the world. I searched for Logo Design and got 40-million hits. It's amazing. August 2, 2016