Special thanks to Ainsley Bevis for sending in this great Adobe Illustrator tutorial! She covers a number of good techniques good for beginner to intermediate Illustrator users. Ainsley is from BloomWebDesign.net ... and writes . . .
In this tutorial, I'll teach you how to design vector illustrations of Art Equipment in Adobe Illustrator. You can see the finished piece in this enlargement
1. In Illustrator create a new document that's 500 X 600. With the pen tool create a shape like the handle of the brush (#1 below) using the color #ed1c24.
2. Next using the pen tool and color #3f3c36 draw a brush shape for the bristles of the brush. (#2 above)
3. Draw a paint shape on the brush with the pen tool and color #ffce00. (#3 above)
4. Bristle Details: Next, add two shades of bristle details to the brush. Use the color #262521 draw some bristles with the pen tool.
5. Draw smaller bristles again using the color #060909.
6. Highlighting the Paint: Draw two different shades of paint highlights with the pen tool using the color #f7e98b, and
7. Draw some more darker shades on the paint using the colors #f9f0c7 and #eac324.
8. Finally draw some highlights on the handle of the brush using the color #ef6565. (as pictured here)
NEXT: We'll draw the Pencil ...
... continues on the next page!