Tom McCracken of NewEvolution has sent in this tutorial that shows you how to create a complicated pattern in Photoshop CC 14.2. This is a tutorial that focuses on Rectangle Tool, Move Tool, Rectangular Marquee Tool, creating patterns, tiling patterns and adding texture. April 15, 2015
AUGUST is BACK to (Design) SCHOOL This month's topic is all about learning! And, as usual our readers have all joined in with some rather wonderful insights into the way they learn, favorite training resources, and keeping a sharply honed edge on graphic design and communication arts. ... grab your best and then share your creations with DTG readers and win a prize! AUGUST is brought to you by the colors GREEN for education
You can also follow updated news items here... or join our FaceBook Group and follow us on Twitter
The spring represents some special interests for graphic designers -- end of school, beginning of the summer buy and travel wave. Here are some starters to get your creative juices flowing :
- Pentagram's New School Rebrand: Best Thing Ever Or Unbearable Monstrosity?
- Perfect archives for collage artists, designers and collectors
- "Happy Town" by Katsumi Tamura wins Golden A' Design Award
- New Photography Acquisitions at Georgia O'Keeffe Museum
- TypeTalk: How Good Typography Can Help Your Job Search
- UVU arts grads present final projects showcase
- Vordik Designer Spotlight: Damian Watracz
- Exhibit shows art of design legend
- Putting a typeface to the name
- ... and more !
Advertising Update : broadcast vs. print, Sensory Marketing, Facebook will screw you, reader attention, not clicks
The ad industry has been screwing their clients ever since the first online ad was served in 1995. The ad industry prostituted itself so badly they got the cost of ads to almost nothing or free. So to back peddal, they've had to devise all kinds of contorted ripps to make money while still sticking it to the publishers. All that is about to get worse as they bring in attention advertising.
- Broadcasters appear to have won -- as newspapers see few gains in ad spending
- Sensory Marketing Is the Next Frontier in Mobile Advertising
- Why native advertising won't overtake traditional ads -- yet
- Selling advertisers on reader attention, not clicks
- How Facebook plans to control digital advertising
- . . . and more!
This week's surf was a lot of fun. We got Kraft of craft and Murphy's law! We met designers who make movies and veteran skateboarding designers! So when we say "Roll" with the 20th Annual Designing Women edition -- that could be very literal :
- Verena Michelitsch : New Twist, Old design problems
- Murphy's Law : if it can be fabulous, Kelly does it
- Martina : an eye for color, shape, style and space
- Eugenia Loli motion in collage... and film
- Nomoco : watercolor magician
- The true craft of Kraft
- Hire a Skate Mom!
- and more to come!
We've screamed through the winter and spring is rolling by -- next thing you know it will be summer and back to school time! Your spring marketing sense needs to focus on the coming close of schools, graduation and summer vacations. Your clients should be ready to market strong!
- Five Questions to Help You Decide Whether You Need a Brand-Protection Tool
- Will Facebook force advertisers to forget about tracking cookies?
- A new pricing scheme will change how digital ads are sold
- Programmatic buys 'make sense' for industry
- Planning your next ad strategy
- . . . and more!
April, May, Mother's Day, and the spring launch into Summer will offer an array of marketing opportunities. Tie in with any number of motifs from family to vacation and travel. But first, get your online social networking act together :
- How the latest moves by Twitter and Facebook help you market your organization
- 4 reasons to use direct mail marketing instead of email marketing
- The 8 golden rules of writing great press releases
- The rapid rise of video in content marketing
- 6 things great PR campaigns have in common
- 5 priorities for email marketing in 2015
- . . . and more
Fourteenth annual industry networking gala to help foster film and media community attending 2015 NAB Show. The Creative Pro User Group (CPUG) Network have announced that the Fourteenth Annual Las Vegas SuperMeet will take place on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 in the Royale Ballroom at the Riviera Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas Nevada. March 24, 2015
I didn't think I would need this when I started, either. But believe me, if you plan to change and grow, you'll eventually have to deal with employees. With employees comes the tedium and misery of managing their time, taxes and benefits. This is the kind of help you'll really need March 23, 2015
Here we go with field trip #3 and we're stopping in on two of our favorites from years past ... kicking off with Laura Smith (ten years later) and more in the 20th Annual Designing Women edition!
- You need this : Design and User Experience
- Laura Moretti Communicazione Visiva Design
- Maria Papaefstathiou . . . It's Just M (-:
- Laura Smith : Classic Illustration
- Daniela Uhlig is Tank Girl
- Janet is the real deal
- Alessandra Scandella
- and more to come!
As society becomes more and more segmented, data mining will become more and more important to marketers, researchers, hipster life-hackers, planners and the media. You will need a data extraction tool to leverage data as they encounter it. Mac users will need one specifically designed for OSX and one that augments existing spreadsheet with data found on the web. Welcome Wordaux. March 18, 2015