DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 24, #6 ~ JUNE
- Welcome to JUNE 2009
- WIN prizes for sharing your favorite shots
- Our friends are your friends:
- Photoshop : More Spring Color Palette Madness
- Create Hot Original Lighting Effects with Photoshop
- You probably don't need a masters' degreee in photography
- Why Black & White? Commentary by Robert Bruce Duncan
- Ask Ted: Is my price to high?
- Creative Tidbits #174: Going to the Summer like a visual feast of graphic design
- 60-Seconds #312 : The Age of Bad Photography
- Desktop Publishing & Design News 1406 : Print publishing in a digital world
- Publishing Update : Is there a global shift back to print publishing?
- Marketing Update : visual content, QR codes, email etiquette and Facebook is Throttling Marketers
- Web Design & Review department with dozens of new items:
- A new photo blending app for intuitive editing -- called Union
- Camera Plus now updated to include AirSnap
- &ELSE... News, views, reviews and cool stuff
- From the Editor for JUNE -- it's 5-o'clock somewhere
Welcome to JUNE 2009 -- Yes, here we are again -- already into June! Getting back to DTG, this month's topics are all about photography, color and design vacation ... plus some cool summer resources.
June is when many people hit the road, or at least start getting out on some trips and vacations... in the U.S. school is out for the summer, so it's a great time to enjoy the sun where ever you happen to be.
Here is your opportunity to show and tell DTG and Design Center readers about your photography, graphic design, illustration or image editing experience and skills!
In the weeks to come, we'll be showing DTG Reader's photos and art that you sent in! Send in captions for the art you would like to submit -- be sure to include your web site address, and gallery along with keywords and description. Once we receive that, we may contact you to send the art. Then, DTG readers will really enjoy a field trip to your digital digs... Two ways to get involved :
1) Get your DTG Gallery folio NOW.
2) Submit a simple text article or information about your photos or art
* http://www.graphic-design.com/submit.html Or, simply tell us what you've got, and we'll tell you how to submit
When you get posts to your forums like this one, you know you're helping change people's lives:
> Hi there this is a blessing I just came across this site
> and registered -- WOW, somewhere to get help!
However, others have lamented that there's too much lurking and not enough posting. So, get out there and help your fellow designers, illustrators and photographers! Get involved in the Design Center discussion forums... DTG Design Cafe and Photoshop 911!
Our next jaunt takes us to some new palettes, a tutorial and a tutorial wannabe. But a special treat at the end is simply a series of others we liked and wanted to share. Don't forget to send in your favorites . . .
* Tutorial : Making a Color Palette in Photoshop
* Tutorial Wannabe : DIY Color Inspiration Palette
* 12 beautiful color palettes
* How to Digitally Paint Hair
* more samples . . .
. . . and MORE Photoshop : More Spring Color Palette Madness
Lighting effects for photographs, one good idea leads to another! Mr. Ben Bradley is a graphic designer/ video artist from New Zealand with a story to tell! He was so inspired by this Abduzeedo tutorial called Sparkling Hot Girl, that he made this one, and sent it along to us. Create Hot Original Lighting Effects with Photoshop
When I first gave this talk most photographers out there were either in strollers, or weren't born yet. So with all the junk we're seeing in the social media worlds, don't you think it's time for some help? From rough 'selfies' to instagrams intentionally made to look bad, we're wondering what ever happened to the reasons for taking photos? Going on vacation? Study this up before leaving home with your digital camera! You probably don't need a masters' degreee in photography
We are fortunate to bring back Robert Bruce Duncan in his commentary about black and white photography -- originally printed by permission in 2004. We're bringing it back today because the new generation of photographers need Robert's pep talk about the subtle beauty of black and white photography. Why Black & White? Commentary by Robert Bruce Duncan
Design management consultant Ted Leonhardt, formerly global head of Anthem, has penned a series of columns dealing with business issues facing emerging designers. In this edition, Ted's client asks if he's charged too much in a proposal -- Ted asks the right questions to lead his client to a happy solution Ted now relates the conversations . . . Ask Ted: Is my price to high?
All over America, graphic designers will be taking to the roads, waterways and airways on vacation in a quest for rest, relaxation and creative revival. It's a great time to look around and let your mind go free, taking in all the creative inspiration you can! Follow along with our June Creative Tidbits with these and other starting points for all designers and creative visual communicators ... here we go:
[+] Graphic Designers Use Icons To Tell Marathon Bombing Story
[+] The Design Deck: a Playing-Card Guide to Graphic Design
[+] 4 Ways to Create Online Video Ads That Work
[+] Technology growth pushes passion
[+] Knitting away the scenery
[+] Shape: Designs for life Creative Tidbits #174: Going to the Summer like a visual feast of graphic design
Ever since the social networking fad hit the internet a new genre of photography has become the most popular form of photography in history. It's called "BAD" photography. And since we're sick of seeing bad photography -- there are the Top 24 Photos We Wish We Didn't Have To Look At 60-Seconds #312 : The Age of Bad Photography
Just watch as we move into the summer with travel, leisure, vacations ... what do you see? People reading. What are they reading? Print and print media. Why? because it's more comfortable, and it travels well. But there's more in this edition of DTG Publishing Update:
[+] Publisher's Paradox: The Irony of Print in a Digital World
[+] Wolff: Putting journalism cart before advertising horse
[+] The 3 keys to a multi-media transformation storyline
[+] Rem Rieder: Is journalism entering a golden age?
[+] Water-Based Printing Could Eliminate Paper Waste
[+] Time to dismantle the newspaper factory culture
[+] Making a first impression with words
-- and more ... Desktop Publishing & Design News 1406 : Print publishing in a digital world
With all the news of security breaches, hacking, loss of privacy, and global spying we may be seeing the shift back to printed publications. Here are several good articles and resources for anyone involved in the print industry:
[+] The No. 1 reason for optimism about the future of newspapers? Our audiences
[+] Printing Profits Still Struggling, but Rebound from Q4-2012
[+] Why you should engage with other print providers online
[+] How publishers can prepare for new advertising sales model
[+] 20 Traits of Successful Nonprofit Publishers
[+] How tablets have changed publishing
[+] Can 30-second ads save newspapers?
[+] Could newspapers outlive the Web?
and more ... Publishing Update : Is there a global shift back to print publishing?
Now we're on the marketing path to summer, travel, vacations and guess what: back to school! Most marketers are looking at least 6-months to a year ahead. Some, are looking a year or more ahead. Let's take a look at this week's marketing update :
[*] Lights, Camera, Action: 9 Tips for Creating a Compelling Online Video
[*] Proper and Improper Use of QR Codes: 10 Great Examples of Each
[*] The 5 most important elements of your association's brand
[*] Don’t learn email etiquette the hard way - Suzanne Mason
[*] 5 Tips for Working KPIs Into Your Measurement Strategy
[*] Facebook is Throttling Marketers for Their Own Good
[*] You and the Buzzword de Jour: Content Marketing
[*] Creating visual content for social marketing
... and more Marketing Update : visual content, QR codes, email etiquette and
Facebook is Throttling Marketers
Here goes spring and summer -- and staying on top of web design can be a major chore! But this is no time to let up on your learning or web design . . . We've uncovered dozens of good content pieces -- so follow along in our Web Design & Review Web Update :
* Webmasters getting creative with their link removal requests and it works
* New Internet Domain Extensions: Don't Get Run Over by the Landrush
* Study: Search Campaigns Earn Double When Integrated With Social
* WhatsApp by the Numbers: Where It's Popular; Teen Usage Stats
* Creating Content For Your Users That Will Also Get You Links
* Five effective techniques for encouraging website investment
* Five Must-Have Insights for Better PPC Campaign Performance
* Tips for Delivering Focused Web Content to a Wide Audience
* 5 Web Technologies Web Designers Can't Afford To Ignore
* LinkedIn names company that used bots to steal profiles
* Index Your Content Faster With the Fetch as Google Tool
* 4 ways to write headlines that actually get clicked
* Five SEO Steps to Take Before Redesigning Your Site
* Five SEO Steps to Take Before Redesigning Your Site
* Take these steps toward an effective landing page
* Google May Push Sites to Use Encryption
* 26 Tips for Overcoming Bloggers Block
* Why SEO Can't Reside in a Silo
* The Year of the Social SMB
.... and the continuing online world Web Design & Review department with dozens of new items:
The all-star Pixite LLC photo app has gotten an impressive boost with the launch of Union, a pioneering photo enhancement app designed for intuitive, high-level image stacking, editing and masking. A natural extension of Pixite's established photo editing apps, Fragment and Tangent, Union lets users quickly and easily replace backgrounds and combine photos in unique and creative ways. A new photo blending app for intuitive editing -- called Union
Camera Plus, a popular camera app for the iPhone, has just added the incredible new 'AirSnap' - A unique way of capturing on an Apple iOS device using another iOS device. Camera Plus has also gone universal with compatibility across Apple's range of iOS devices like iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad mini and iPad mini with Retina display. Camera Plus now updated to include AirSnap
This month's &Else includes: [_] Beautiful brushes in a beautiful new interface [_] PaigeeWorld for iOS - The Social Network for Artists gets a New Look[_] Nodes 2 for Final Cut Pro, After Effects, Premiere Pro and Motion [_] Decorate Your Life With Sweet Pix Quick [_] Export And Overlay App Screenshots Easily With DS Screenshot 1.4 for iOS [_] and more &ELSE... News, views, reviews and cool stuff
Did you know? June is named after the Roman goddess Juno -- patron of Rome -- a busy chic - daughter of Saturn and sister (but also the wife) of the chief god Jupiter - and, the mother of Juventas, Mars, and Vulcan. Whew! But we don't care... it's 5-o'clock somewhere and we're hitting the beaches!
June is brought to you by the color "SAND" as in "sandy beaches" ...
How many colors of Sand? Here ... click this link and see if this photo montage matches your idea of the color of sand?
NEXT MONTH: we'll be showing off reader photos, graphics and web sites submitted during May and June. We really love visiting the works of our readers, so don't forget to get in touch and invite us over. Sign up, send content and and let's see those photos you shoot during June
For now, have a great time in the June DTG
Have a really great JUNE and SUMMER!
A Thought for JUNE, honoring teachers...
Teachers who educate children
deserve more honor than parents
who merely gave them birth;
for bare life is furnished by the one,
the other ensures a good life.
Graphic Design & Publishing Center
Don't forget ... we encourage you to share your discoveries about favorite or famous graphic designers and illustrators with other readers. Just contact me.
- Subscribe to DTG News so you'll get the email each month!
- Send in your tutorials - Share with all our readers
- Show us your Portfolio? - We'd like to see your work
- JOIN DTG on FaceBook - we're having lots of fun there
- Follow on Twitter - Get the news as it happens
- Follow on RSS - Full listings of content
- Contact us - Let us know what's happening with you
- Contribute articles - Our readers would like to hear from you
- Contribute support - Help us keep this free publication online
- Get Linked - Text Links and Newsletter posts in DTG
-------------------------------------------------------------------- ........ The Design & Publishing Center's DT&G Magazine ....... ...... is the longest established electronic publication ...... .............. in the industry with continuing ................ ........... high content/low noise information for ............ . designers, publishers, and communication arts practitioners . ............... http://www.graphic-design.com/ ................ ............ copyright 2014, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED .............. --------------------------------------------------------------------