DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 24, #4 ~ APRIL
- April 2014: Designing Women and The Colors of Spring
- Claire Sells the talent behind Splot Designs & Glean Magazine
- Malika Favre : negative space design excellence
- 19th Annual Designing Women FOUR
- 19th Annual Designing Women THREE
- 2014 Designing Women of Europe
- 2014 Designing Women from Central and South America
- Creative Graphic Design: Women's History, almost spring
- Creative Update #167: design, illustration, and graphics around the world
- 60 Seconds #310: Cinemagraphs are moving pictures
... the evolution of the animated GIF
- Photography: Painting amazing designs into the ice floating on Lake Michigan
- Qwasian : The Hardest working man in the Photoshop biz
- Publishing Update 1403 : Is digital really greener than paper?
- Posters For The Digital Age, At Schick Art Gallery
- &Else : News, Views & Reviews
- Next Month is May -- for Mom and Graduation
- April is for everyone ! April is for . . .
- Parting words for spring...
April 2014: Designing Women and The Colors of Spring It's time to shed those dull, muted colors of winter and dawn the bright, light pastels of spring, as we celebrate our annual Spring Color issue. This month we also round out with some more entries from those Designing Women! Welcome to April all graphic designers, web designers, illustrators, typographers, digital artists and everyone in the creative fields!
Light, fresh and opinionated -- Claire Sells, based in the UK, has been a practicing graphic artist for over a decade. Her specialties range from traditional, handdrawn illustration to digital vector art, design, layout, photography and even publishing. . . . Designing Women continues! . . . . Designing Women continues!
The first thing that impressed us about Malika Favre is her innate talent of boiling lots of visual information into the sublime essence for communications. The second thing that occurred to us was -- she's probably one of the most ripped-off designers of all times! Designing Women field trip! Designing Women field trip!
Number FOUR is our final surf for this year's 19th Annual Designing Women edition. We wrap it up with these extraordinary visual creatives.
* Most Popular Social Media Sites Review: Why Women Are The Real Power
* Sarah Yates a.k.a. Faunagraphic duz Walls and all
* Fresh, fun, brilliant works of Amanda Grazini
* Gina Kiel illustration & spirit down under
* Cris Delara : NOT just pinups!
... and more! 19th Annual Designing Women FOUR
We continue the 19th Annual Designing Women edition surf with this third round of extraordinary designers.
* Jackie Matelski: Toast Ceramics simple, graphic design and comfort food
* Sweet C : Make a Chalkboard Effect in Photoshop
* The excellent hand lettering of Martina Flor
* Kerry Butters : Designing with words
* Katherine brings your: Soul To Call
* Ariane's Design Dimensionality
... and more to come! 19th Annual Designing Women THREE
The 19th Annual Designing Women Edition presents Designing Women of Europe! In celebration of Women's History Month, last month, we celebrated Designing Women in the USA, this month we celebrate these outstanding women designers from Poland, Spain, England, and all points around Europe. These are also highlighted with samples, descriptions and links to their sites in our Designing Women pages! 2014 Designing Women of Europe
The 19th Annual Designing Women Edition presents Designing Women of central and South America in a celebration of Women's History Month, last month, we celebrated Designing Women in the USA and Europe, now celebrate these outstanding women designers from Ecuador, Costa Rica, Columbia, Argentina, El Salvador, Venezuela, Brazil, Bolivia and points south, below the equator. Take this tour and you'll also find highlighted samples and links to their sites once you click into the Gallery pages pages! Enjoy 2014 Designing Women from Central and South America
It's March, and our Women's History Month looks at creativity in many different ways ... Designing Woman Kerry Butters sets the creative pace with her insightful piece on common logo mistakes - then Amanda Clark points the desingers' finger at fonts .... these and other starting points for all designers and creative visual communicators ... here we go:
* Award-Winning Mobile Video Coaching App Dartfish Express for iOS7
* 5 motion graphic design trends for every video editor
* Typography cheat sheet: The big mistakes to avoid
* The simple science to good storytelling
* Typing type: The font war for bloggers
* 6 Common Mistakes in Logo Design
* Global design trends
... and more Creative Graphic Design: March, Women's History, almost spring
March is almost over, our Women's History Month is coming to an end and we're focusing on spring colors .... these and other starting points for all designers and creative visual communicators ... here we go:
* Gift Card Impressions Wins Two Graphic Design USA Awards for Innovative Packaging
* Colborne graphic artist wins ParaSport Games medal design contest
* Getting a job in digital marketing (A graduate’s perspective)
* Graphic designer Peter Saville still rocks the fashion world
* Icons that talk : telling a graphic story with icons
* Stumbled into the profession of graphic design
* Call for Entries: Graphis Design Annual 2015
* TypeTalk: Know Your Figures * ... and more Creative Update #167: design, illustration, and graphics around the world
This entry was actually just a single blurb in an upcoming "Creative Update" for April, but I got fascinated with the process and decided to expand on it a bit. Once upon a time there were animated GIF files. (That's "gif" pronounced "jif") Today this simple process has evolved into the eye-popping technique now known as Cinemagraphy. I think you'll find this interesting ... 60 Seconds #310: Cinemagraphs are moving pictures... the evolution of the animated GIF
The water froze the instant the wave broke through the ice. That's what it is like in Lake Michigan where it is the coldest weather in decades. Water freezes the instant it comes in contact with the air. The temperature of the water is already some degrees below freezing. Photography: Painting amazing designs into the ice floating on Lake Michigan
Here's one gallery we did not have space for in our "Black History Month" edition, but surely deserves it's own premier :: Qwasian Phillips from Team Brinkz is one of the more prolific artists I've seen. He deals day-in and day-out in creating effective, dramatic and creative covers and collateral materials -- photography, lettering, logos, and much more. He has uploaded over 200 pieces to the DTG Forums Gallery, and we're thrilled to share just a sampling, spread across three dramatic galleries!
* See : http://graphic-design.com/tags/Qwasian
... or simply visit the Design Center Gallery Qwasian : The Hardest working man in the Photoshop biz
We haven't had a publishing update in some time. Most have been moved into our marketing, web, or media updates. Publishing is not dead, and even though most people these days think publishing means Facebook or Twitter or Tumblr -- but seriously, there's more to it than that . . .
* Media study reveals preferred methods of delivery for different messages
* Ready to bust some print and paper myths?
* Is digital really greener than paper?
* The Power of Paper -- literally
* Make your content matter
-- and more ... Publishing Update 1403 : Is digital really greener than paper?
The Schick Art Gallery at Skidmore College will present Graphic Advocacy: International Posters for the Digital Age, 2001-2012, an exhibition of advocacy posters by artists from around the world this spring. With topics ranging from environmental degradation to dirty politics to human rights, these posters are shrewd, visually compelling and often witty in their illustration of complex contemporary issues. Posters For The Digital Age, At Schick Art Gallery
from the past couple of weeks, we've found some pretty cool stuff you may want to take a look at ...
* Softimage Artists can now Crossgrade to LightWave 11.6 Software *
* Flixel Cinemagraph Pro the living photo creation software *
* ColorTRUE app for photographers, designers, and prepress professionals mobile devices *
* Download 515 Commercial Use Free Fonts From MacAppware &Else : News, Views & Reviews
Congratulations goes out to all our 2014 graduates -- whether graduating from High School, College, University or other institution of education.
During April we invite all upcoming graduates to participate by getting in touch and perhaps sending in some samples. DTG readers would like to know about your education experience and where you're headed! Of course, if we publish your folio, you'll win in our monthly prize drawings.
Pros can enter too... just tell us what you expected when you graduated, or what you look for in a prospective employee! As usual, stories, tips and insight is always very welcome by DTG readers. Next Month is May -- for Mom and Graduation
Thomas Jefferson's Birthday - Sunday, April 13, 2014
Passover (first day) - Tuesday, April 15, 2014
Tax Day - Tuesday, April 15, 2014
Easter Sunday - Sunday, April 20, 2014
Earth Day - Tuesday, April 22, 2014
Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - International Jazz Day
World Intellectual Property Day - Saturday, April 26, 2014
April is the fourth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar, the fifth in the early Julian and one of four months with a length of 30 days. The zodiac signs for the month of April are Aries (until April 20) and Taurus (April 21 onwards).
April is brought to you by the color "SPRING" -- light, pastell, fun ...
April is brought to you by the letter "A"
Parting words: on the subject of COLOR...
An optimist is a person who sees a green light everywhere.
The pessimist sees only the red light.
But the truly wise person is color blind.
Graphic Design & Publishing Center
Don't forget ... we encourage you to share your discoveries about favorite or famous graphic designers and illustrators with other readers. Just contact me.
- Subscribe to DTG News so you'll get the email each month!
- Send in your tutorials - Share with all our readers
- Show us your Portfolio? - We'd like to see your work
- JOIN DTG on FaceBook - we're having lots of fun there
- Follow on Twitter - Get the news as it happens
- Follow on RSS - Full listings of content
- Contact us - Let us know what's happening with you
- Contribute articles - Our readers would like to hear from you
- Contribute support - Help us keep this free publication online
- Get Linked - Text Links and Newsletter posts in DTG
-------------------------------------------------------------------- ........ The Design & Publishing Center's DT&G Magazine ....... ...... is the longest established electronic publication ...... .............. in the industry with continuing ................ ........... high content/low noise information for ............ . designers, publishers, and communication arts practitioners . ............... http://www.graphic-design.com/ ................ ............ copyright 2014, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED .............. --------------------------------------------------------------------