DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 23, #4 ~ April, 2013
- APRIL 2013
- Photoshop : clean and comfortable colors in photographs
- Miss Aniela : A Surrealistic view
- Maki Kawakita : explosive color for dramatic storytelling
- InDesign tricks from 'HerGeekness' vs. MS Word
- 18th Annual Designing Women Four
- Photoshop Madness Meets Designing Women Again
- 12 rules for designing remarkable covers
- Adobe Master Class: Photoshop Inspiring artwork
- Carson becomes a professional
- EMBRACE+ and the Future of Phone Notifications
- Blacklisting, Whitelisting and the Way Forward: Comments on the Schneier-Ranum Face-Off
- 62% of Marketers Don’t Know How to Measure Social Media Advertising
- Artlandia Brings SymmetryMill to Google SketchUp for Live 3D Pattern Texturing
- &Else : news, views, and reviews
- We love April ... but may love MAY more . . .
... we wrap up our Designing Women series with InDesign tricks from 'HerGeekness', Miss Aniela, Maki Kawakita and the completion of our 2013 Designing Women celebration for graphic designers, web designers, illustrators, typographers, digital artists and everyone in the creative fields -- April Colors : What's in YOUR palette?
Nearly 20 Years of Designing Women
Congratulations to all our loyal DTG readers who remember back to our very first Designing Women issue. . . 18 years ago. It's been a great trip, and we're looking forward to seeing you again next year. As a special feature of this year's issue, we've posted a poster of just some of the graphics and art from Designing Women in nearly 20 years. Enjoy ... if you like it, PIN-it, or share it!
Adjusting color on a photo can be tricky business. But this month 4-designer.com provides us with yet more methods of making subtle color adjustments on you photographs.
Natalie "Miss Aniela" Dybisz is a fine arts photographer who will stir your emotions and shake reality with her hauntingly surreal imagery. She's featured in the latest Adobe Masters Class for Photoshop, and here in our April Designing Women edition
Maki brings a new kind of female panache to the scene with her kicky, sometimes kinky, always dazzling imagery. Her work exhibits a rare blend of diversity -- of Japanese, American and European cultures. In 2007, she was selected as one of the top 200 photographers in Japan! Maki Kawakita : explosive color for dramatic storytelling
Importing Microsoft Word files into InDesign? Is it like, a real pain cleaning those files up? Designing Woman and Adobe Creative Suite expert, Anne-Marie "HerGeekness" Concepcion, knows you've been there! She sent in this cleverly hidden InDesign trick -- to save you a ton of time!InDesign tricks from 'HerGeekness' vs. MS Word
Now we continue our quest for creative spirits in celebration of Women's History Month. Ladies and gentlemen, the 18th Annual Designing Women edition continues with :
* Poster champ : Traci Edwards
* Jenny Schmid : Battle of Everyouth
* Yani Arabena: Inspired Calligraphy & Lettering
* Timeless Graphic Design of Cipe Pineles 1910 - 1991
* Dimitra Tzanos: Fresh of the Fresh
* Sarah Hartwig: multidisciplin design
* Yiying Lu: Amazement
* Clotilde Olyff cool fonts, typography presence
* Iran : Visions from Rashin Kheirieh
* Fresh talent from El Salvador
... and more to come! 18th Annual Designing Women Four
We'll continue our Designing Women series with Women Designers who are featured in the latest Adobe Master Class ... celebrating Women's History Month with . . .
* Brooke Shaden Visual trips to places unseen
* Riley Kern : Retro in the Rockwell style
* Star Foreman diverse portfolio
* Zhang Jingna attitude to spare
* Sarah Wilmer : dark dreams
* ... and MORE Photoshop Madness Meets Designing Women Again
From time to time, our friends out at Shweiki Media produce some tutorials and articles to help their printing clients get more bang for their bucks. We're lucky that when they author these files, they send them to me for DTG readers! Consider this, the next time you have a cover to design
The latest Adobe Master Class is here with a heafty line-up of photographic talent -- some of which is included in this year's Designing Women issue! This world-class photography book brings a lot of inspiration and learning
Design management consultant Ted Leonhardt, formerly global head of Anthem, has penned a series of columns dealing with business issues facing emerging designers. This is the first of the series of five pieces, which explore: How to land a brand design assignment, learning to negotiate, getting a job at the firm of your choice, and taking control of salary negotiations.
Well, are you ready for the next big thing? Are you ready to wear your iPhone on your arm? You knew this was coming right? Well, here it is . . . the smart phone watch EMBRACE+ and the Future of Phone Notifications
In this 60-Second Window, I step aside for George Tubin, Trusteer's Senior Security Strategist on the matter of how we face the looming storm of cyber security and the coming spector of cyber war. Nobody wants it, but there seems to be an ever increasing debate over how to avoid it. These figures figure heavily into the debate, and the future of our digital infrastructure.
Content marketing start-up Uberflip has released a new infographic about the state of social media advertising. Given mass consumer adoption of social media, over 75% of brands have incorporated social advertising into their integrated marketing budgets. 62% of Marketers Don’t Know How to Measure Social Media Advertising
As you know, Artlandia is one of our favorite developers of software for Illustrator and Photoshop. And, all along, it's been a nasty relationship between Adobe and Google Sketchup. But now, Artlandia's awesome new plug-in makes Artlandia's cloud-based pattern design editor SymmetryMill available as an interactive texture editor in Google's SketchUp!
&Else : news, views, and reviews from the world of graphic arts, including :
* New opportunities for designers in Stereoscopic 3D design
* Printing Code: Programming and the Visual Arts
* Unlocking Cell Phones : Library of Congress and the White House ... and more in this month's news department &Else!
Getting Ready for May & Creative Thinking
I wish to thank everyone for participating in this month's issue, the more creative input we get, the more benefits everyone will get out of it! It's so difficult to discuss design these days without someone's drama or emotionalism getting in the way. We ran a survey of 1000 readers and only 17% knew what the "Equal sign in a Box" meant. So we decided to ask our Facebook friends if they thought that was an appropriate logo for the "gay marriage" issue. Well, remind me NEVER to open that can of worms again. By the reaction we got you'd think it was the most successful Logo ever hewn by mankind. So that shows you what kinds of designers frequent discussions on Facebook.
April is brought to you by the color Cayenne. Fiery and energetic, this color signifies passion, strength, and courage
-- or white or clear . . . the color of Diamonds!
Happy April, and ...
Thanks for reading...
Parting words: on the subject of CREATIVITY...
"The uncreative mind can spot the wrong answer,
but it takes a creative mind to spot the wrong question."
Graphic Design & Publishing Center
Don't forget ... we encourage you to share your discoveries about favorite or famous graphic designers and illustrators with other readers. Just contact me.
- Subscribe to DTG News so you'll get the email each month!
- Send in your tutorials - Share with all our readers
- Show us your Portfolio? - We'd like to see your work
- JOIN DTG on FaceBook - we're having lots of fun there
- Follow on Twitter - Get the news as it happens
- Follow on RSS - Full listings of content
- Contact us - Let us know what's happening with you
- Contribute articles - Our readers would like to hear from you
- Contribute support - Help us keep this free publication online
- Get Linked - Text Links and Newsletter posts in DTG
-------------------------------------------------------------------- ........ The Design & Publishing Center's DT&G Magazine ....... ...... is the longest established electronic publication ...... .............. in the industry with continuing ................ ........... high content/low noise information for ............ . designers, publishers, and communication arts practitioners . ............... http://www.graphic-design.com/ ................ ............ copyright 2013, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED .............. --------------------------------------------------------------------