DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 22, #7 ~ July, 2012
- July DTG Newsletter
- HDR: The Pros' Hottest Post-Processing Techniques
- Photoshop Seascape Madness
- Tutorial: Illustrator vector cupcakes and muffins!
- Tutorial: Two Simple Steps Can Save Your Photos
- Tutorial: Blurred reflections in Photoshop
- Social Media getting hotter and hotter
- CREATIVE inspiration tidbits
- Marketing Update : turn up the heat
- Publishing Update : Smart Publishers
- Tutorial: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
- 60 seconds: Death of the search engine
- QuarkXPress to Adobe InDesign CS6
- Business: The Art of Saying No
- Design Bookshelf Updates
- ADOBE CS6 Rolls into the Publishers Warehouse
- The Affiliate Myth
- Red, White & Blue Colors this Month
- Hot, Hot, Hot
When it comes to HDR, only three key ingredients are needed: hardware, software, and post-processing technique. Well, it does take a little talent ... but with a shot-in-the-arm from Rafael, those summer photos will take on a whole new life! Here's the poop ... we'll even throw in a whole 2nd bonus article : "Working with Color in Photoshop" along with a downloadable tutorial on Rafael's "Austin Capitol" project! http://ow.ly/bXiHq HDR: The Pros' Hottest Post-Processing Techniques
PHOTOSHOP MADNESS is where you practically go mad trying to find the most useful stuff for Photoshop! This is continued from the HDR topic this month with 'Seascape' madness -- mad HDR seascape photography of places you WISH you had gone to shoot photos. . . and convert to HDR. http://ow.ly/bXiNt Photoshop Seascape Madness
Getting ready for the summer vacation and all of the cook-outs, receptions, parties and picknics going on, we were delighted when Ainseley Bevis sent in this Adobe Illustrator tutorial with lots of blends, gradients and vector cooking!Tutorial: Illustrator vector cupcakes and muffins!
Most of us take fairly lousy photos most of the time, and we aren't sure what our options are when the pictures don't turn out the way we hoped. But professional photographer Khara Plicanic will help you out with some of her insightful tips & tricks http://ow.ly/bXhOr Tutorial: Two Simple Steps Can Save Your Photos
Here's a very basic tutorial with several really important Photoshop lessons for beginners to intermediates. The blur and mask steps will be used again and again in your Photoshop career! Special thanks to Tim Bennett for sending in this tutorial! http://ow.ly/bXhWC Tutorial: Blurred reflections in Photoshop
This Social Media updates includes our favorite finds in the past week -- good information for all online users, designers and marketers :
* Pinterest Beyond the Basics: A Marketer's Guide to Successful Pinning
* Why social media success is about quality not quantity
* Social Media Policies: What goes up must go higher
* 10 LinkedIn Tips for Building Your Business
* 10 things you should tweet
.... and the continuing world of social media and networking ( http://ow.ly/bXi2W ) Social Media getting hotter and hotter
Being creative is tough. You just can't always be creative on demand. But these idea-starters will go a long way toward being fresh with creative ideas . . .
* Which Reigns Supreme in Graphic Design: Functionality or Design?
* Graphic Design: Now in Production on Governors Island
* The Deadly Dance of Discounting
* Graphic Design Exhibition 2012
* Smartphone Photography 101
* Green Patriot Posters
... and more ! http://ow.ly/bXiaFCREATIVE inspiration tidbits
Summer sometimes puts marketing efforts on hold in favor of the autum push. Not a good idea... keep marketing, and keep selling Here's the next edition of DTG Marketing Update:
* 5 emerging public relations trends-- and the skills they require
* Marketers use growing number of tools to spur website engagement
* 7 infographics that make the case for mobile email optimization
* The 6 trickiest measurement terms, and what they really mean
* Why you're getting left behind in digital video
* 3 reasons your boilerplate should be shorter
* 11 apps every marketer should download
... and more ( http://ow.ly/bXijB ) Marketing Update : turn up the heat
An overflow this month presents essential info from the hardware side of publishing to improving your writing! This issue is two pages on the publishing scene:
* 10 tips for migrating technical content from print to digital
* What happens when a newspaper is just another digital voice?
* Today, printers. Tomorrow, 'integrated peripherals'?
* The chart that explains media's addiction to print
* Why don't associations publish more e-books?
* Newspapers Cut Days From Publishing Week
* 10 ways to improve your writing today
* Guide to Great Learning Videos
* Newspapers: who needs 'em?
and more ... http://ow.ly/bXirw Publishing Update : Smart Publishers
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom was designed from the ground up, specifically for digital photographers. As we follow this summers photography, and learn some powerful techniques that lets photographers import, sort, and organize images, Martin Evening blazes the way! ALSO : included here a complete tutorial on tricks for importing images ; a FREE downloadable PDF chapter from Martin's book ; and a FREE tutorial from Jeff Revell : "Why You Should Be Shooting Raw" ... rounding out our summer photography section! Tutorial: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
For some time I've complained about the state of online search. Mose everyone online are all about search engine optimization (SEO), but in my opinion, the SEO operators have ruined internet searching. Some segments of society are suffering for it!60 seconds: Death of the search engine
Markzware has added Q2ID for CS6 (InDesign plugin to convert QuarkXPress to InDesign CS6) to their extensive line of plugins for data conversion and preflight technology for Adobe® InDesign®, QuarkXPress® and Microsoft Publisher®. Markzware Q2ID v6 for Mac supports Adobe InDesign CS6 on the Macintosh platform http://ow.ly/bXizX QuarkXPress to Adobe InDesign CS6
Research from the University of California in San Francisco shows that the more difficulty you have saying no, the more likely you are to experience stress, burnout, and even depression. Saying no is indeed a major challenge for most people. Anyone who suffers from the stress that comes from over commitment can get help themselves by following these simple strategies for saying no. Business: The Art of Saying No
We have lots of new titles in the Bookshelf, with a whole CS6 bookshelf arriving in a week. A number of readers have written asking for suggestions for graphic design "starter" books. So we've included article and chapter excerpts as well ... Design Bookshelf Updates
* NEW More Cool Photoshop CS6 VIDEO Tutorials - CS6 is here, and here are a collection of interesting videos that will get you up and running! Enjoy, and don't forget to send in your favorites!
* NEW New Photoshop PDF Tutorials - We asked DTG readers to send in examples of their favorite PDF-based tutorials, and they've started rolling in
* NEW Out of Bounds Digital Paintings - We asked DTG readers to send in examples of "Out of Bounds" art, based on several tutorials in the Photoshop Tips & Tricks department, and more from JUNE have been added !!!
Did you think you were going to get rich with your affiliate programs? Did you sell thousands of books this month? Did you enjoy cashing that huge check? Today's internet isn't like the 'young' internet ... getting rich from an affiliate program has become a myth...
We've been surviving 100f-plus degrees and high wind storms the last several days, and I'm about ready for some releif. The only thing to do is stay in the air conditioning and enjoy some of the many resources of inspiration for graphic design, illustration and typography.
AUGUST : BACK TO DESIGN SCHOOL month invites you to send in your learning, training and educational experiences to share with other DTG readers. We'll be sending out free prizes to selected contributors
And, as for this month, well, you've already wasted a perfectly good hour reading the DTG newsletter. Hopefully all is not wasted and you've gained at least one helpful tidbit of info.
Thanks for reading... go forth and be creative
Parting words: on the subject of performance
"Resolve to perform what you ought.
Perform without fail what you resolve."
Graphic Design & Publishing Center
Don't forget ... we encourage you to share your discoveries about favorite or famous graphic designers and illustrators with other readers. Just contact me.
- Subscribe to DTG News so you'll get the email each month!
- Send in your tutorials - Share with all our readers
- Show us your Portfolio? - We'd like to see your work
- JOIN DTG on FaceBook - we're having lots of fun there
- Follow on Twitter - Get the news as it happens
- Follow on RSS - Full listings of content
- Contact us - Let us know what's happening with you
- Contribute articles - Our readers would like to hear from you
- Contribute support - Help us keep this free publication online
- Get Linked - Text Links and Newsletter posts in DTG
-------------------------------------------------------------------- ........ The Design & Publishing Center's DT&G Magazine ....... ...... is the longest established electronic publication ...... .............. in the industry with continuing ................ ........... high content/low noise information for ............ . designers, publishers, and communication arts practitioners . ............... http://www.graphic-design.com/ ................ ............ copyright 2012, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED .............. --------------------------------------------------------------------