DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 22, #4 ~ April, 2012
- APRIL 2012 -- Welcome to spring and our Spring Color issue!
- Photoshop EASTER Madness
- 60 seconds : Instant America
- Photoshop Tutorial: Illustrator, Photoshop Easter Collage
- Photoshop Color, Color, Color Madness
- Photography : Visual Stories
- Gallery : Designing Women Part 2
- Designing Women : Sandy Hibbard : Lyric Marketing
- Designing grid layouts for the Web
- Photography : Managing your digital assets
- Food Photography
- Wildlife Photography: Great Shots not snapshots
- Photography : Bending Reality
- Photography : Storytellers
- Web Design Update
- 60 seconds : Can you use it?
- April showers bring May Flowers, and Graduates
Remember: This newsletter is sent via email as an ASCII text email to all our subscribers on or around the first of each month. If you'd rather get this via email, then we invite you to subscribe.
Those Designing Women are back as the March theme overflows into April and we make a very special visit to one designing woman we met way back when -- now she's not only highly successful in the design / marketing field, in the music field as well! Enjoy this issue of DTG Magazine . . .
Photoshop Madness for Easter -- everyone likes cute little easter pictures!
* Make a Print Ready Easter Greeting Card from Scratch * Easter Egg in Illustrator 3D * Jelena Jovanovic Easter Art * decorated egg shapes * MORE Easter Eggs * Easter Signs * Easter Eggs * Ainseley duz eggs, chicks and bunnies . . . and more
Can you wait a minute? Can you wait a second? According to this infographic, America's obsession with having instant access to information online, from video to all other types of digital media, says you can't wait... 60 seconds : Instant America
Just in time for Easter, this cute little tutorial draws eggs, chicks and rabbits for a montage -- drills into Illustrator's Pathfinder tools then goes out to finish up in Photoshop! Join in the fun Photoshop Tutorial: Illustrator, Photoshop Easter Collage
Photoshop Madness Color, Color everywhere in April, so here are some fun actions and reference sites for various photographic colorizations, including : Color by Alice In Underland * Cool Color action #106 * Special FX Enhanced Vol 4 * Saturn Rings * Marcia Cross Actions * Pirates vintage T-shirts * and more Photoshop Color, Color, Color Madness
The main thing that separates photographer amateurs from the pros is their ability to tell a story using the lens. If the viewer gets it -- you're a success. If the viewer doesn't, then you need this book from Vincent Laforet Photography : Visual Stories
Continuing from last month, we take another surf through great personalities from the design, painting, and illustration worlds -- closing out this year's Designing Women with : * Kathleen Meaney, * Debbie Millman : Sterling Brands, * Nicolle Rager Fuller, * Susan Sellers : brand strategy, * Tina and Esther: Little Fury, * Jessica Skipworth : Branding, * Deborah Adler, and last but not least, * Sara De Bondt! Gallery : Designing Women Part 2
We first introduced you to Sandy in our Designing Women issue back in March of 2004. Since those days, Sandy and her "Lyric Marketing" is not so much about music -- other than the musical sounds of cha-ching, cha-ching! Let's catch up and see what's going on with Sandy these days -- including her music!
Experienced graphic designers know the value of a grid in design. They know that the grid helps bring order to the information and provides guides and anchors for the various visual elements. Now, Khoi Vinh takes it to the web Designing grid layouts for the Web
As a digital photographer or videographer, you product massive amounts of data in the creative process. Protecting and preserving those assets is paramount. IT professional Ben Greisler has some insight and advice on successful digital lifecycle management. Photography : Managing your digital assets
Food photography is probably one of the most difficult segments of the commercial photography field. You cannot just pick up a camera and shoot good food shots. But there is hope, and you can accomplish some great shots with the help of Nicole Young. . . Food Photography
Planning your vacation? Going into the wilds? About this time of year, people are trying to decide on their vacation. No matter where you go, take this along and you'll be able to capture the experience in its fullest! Wildlife Photography: Great Shots not snapshots
Award-winning New York filmmaker and photographer Randy Scott Slavin will present his surrealist photo works from March 22-25 at Artexpo New York, the world's largest fine art trade show Photography : Bending Reality
It's amazing how many images the world's photographers produce! Professional or not, images surround us in our everyday lives. What makes successful photographers stand out? What drives us to revisit the same images over and over? Photography : Storytellers
We continue into spring with many new items of interest for all web designers...
* 10 Advanced SEO Tactics That Will Increase Your Blog's Traffic
* How To Find Link Prospects Without Using Google
* 9 Free Tools For Link Discovery & Content Creation
* Six Basic Web Design Mistakes
* 5 Must-Have SEO Skills
.. and more Web Design Update
If it's there, can you use it? While I was putting together the article for Pamela Wells this month, that question presented itself once again. Searching for images of Pamela's writings and products I turned up an interesting set of images that immediately underscored the issues of SOPA and PIPA. 60 seconds : Can you use it?
Thanks to everyone for participating in this month's issue, the more creative input we get, the more benefits everyone will get out of it!
MAY GRADUATES & DESIGN SCHOOL -- Share with DTG readers and win some of our valuable prizes by sharing with DT&G readers...
This MAY and June many designers, illustrators, photographers and visual communicators will be either graduating from design/art school... the pros might be preparing to hire them.
Graduates, we'd like you to share your best design school portfolio work with the readers of DTG. If you're in the field already, share your work tips, tricks and experiences ...
Design Graduates Speak Up...
* Student, Senior Design School work
* What you hope to achieve as you enter the field...
* What to look for in an upcoming design candidate
* Suggest successful tips and tricks for landing that job
* Story, antidote or reflection on getting the ultimate Design Job
. . . then just send'em in here . . .
April is a special month for celebrating the literary arts -- National Poetry Month (http://www.poets.org/), National Humor Month, Reading is Fun Week (3rd week) and National Library Week (3rd week -- www.ala.org.) April also celebrates our natural outdoors as National Lawn & Garden Month, and Earth Day.
* During April we'll ask that you take your secretary to lunch during "Professional Secretaries Week", (www.iaap-hq.org) and then everyone is encouraged to observe "Take Our Daughters To Work Day." This is part of the national education campaign sponsored by the MS Foundation For Women where girls from 9 to 19 should accompany a parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle or friend to work. (http://ow.ly/a6EV3)
June and July are all about Photography ... taking photos, digital cameras, photography, and travel.
They all seem to go together, and you are invited to share
your best tips, tricks, and portfolio samples with DTG readers:
Portfolio posts here
And, as for this month, well, you've already wasted a perfectly
good hour reading the DTG newsletter. Hopefully all is not
wasted and you've gained at least one helpful tidbit of info.
thanks for reading
Parting words for April DTG...
Thomas Jefferson, one of my all-time favorite heros, third president of the United States, author of the Declaration of American Independence was born very near here in Albemarle County on April 13, 1743.
"I like the dreams of the future
better than the history of the past."
... Thomas Jefferson
Graphic Design & Publishing Center
Don't forget ... we encourage you to share your discoveries about favorite or famous graphic designers and illustrators with other readers. Just contact me.
- Subscribe to DTG News so you'll get the email each month!
- Send in your tutorials - Share with all our readers
- Show us your Portfolio? - We'd like to see your work
- JOIN DTG on FaceBook - we're having lots of fun there
- Follow on Twitter - Get the news as it happens
- Follow on RSS - Full listings of content
- Contact us - Let us know what's happening with you
- Contribute articles - Our readers would like to hear from you
- Contribute support - Help us keep this free publication online
- Get Linked - Text Links and Newsletter posts in DTG
-------------------------------------------------------------------- ........ The Design & Publishing Center's DT&G Magazine ....... ...... is the longest established electronic publication ...... .............. in the industry with continuing ................ ........... high content/low noise information for ............ . designers, publishers, and communication arts practitioners . ............... http://www.graphic-design.com/ ................ ............ copyright 2012, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED .............. --------------------------------------------------------------------