Smile has released PDFpen 5.0, the latest version of its popular and affordable PDF editing tool for Mac OS X. With this major upgrade, PDFpen includes the ability to redact or replace text, including OCR text. Users can also initiate search-and-replace and search-and-redact functions to remove multiple instances of sensitive information.
Philip Goward, Smile founder said
"As more people use PDFs to share information, the ability to properly redact private details within documents is critical ... Many high profile cases have come to light recently where sensitive text was exposed in PDFs unintentionally. Redaction in PDFpen removes the underlying text before putting a black rectangle in its place."
Image editing is significantly more sophisticated in PDFpen 5.0. Users can change the resolution and color depth of a single image or scanned document to reduce PDF file size. Scanned documents can be deskewed in PDFpen, which improves the performance of OCR results. PDFpen 5.0 also adds contrast adjustment and other image effects.
With performance enhancements, PDFpen 5.0 is faster. The new version improves handling of larger PDF documents. OCR is now multi-core, enabling parallel processing of multi-page documents.
A new version of PDFpenPro has also been released. In addition to all of the features of PDFpen 5.0, PDFpenPro 5.0 can now convert websites and other HTML documents into PDFs, complete with hyperlinks. With PDFpenPro, users can create fillable PDF forms and document table of contents as well.
What's new in PDFpen 5.0:
- Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) only, 64-bit
- Faster operation, better capacity to handle larger documents
- Multi-core OCR processes multiple pages in parallel
- Redact or erase text, including OCR text
- Search and replace text
- Search and redact text
- Forms support list widgets and http submit button
- OCR enhanced to handle colored text on a colored or shaded background
- Deskew scanned document pages for improved OCR
- Change resolution and color depth of a single image or scanned document to reduce PDF file size
- Adjust contrast and apply other effects to a single image or scanned document
- Enhanced selection of objects or text by auto-select of needed tool
- Auto-detection of URLs in text so that they can be clicked
- Select text within any rectangular region for copying (via option select)
- Pinch to zoom via trackpad; zoom by chosen percentage
- Measurements shown for rectangular selection and crop
- Facing pages viewable with page one shown on the left or right
- Print to pre-printed forms with option to print only the information added to a document
- Scale setting observed when printing
- Convert a website into multi-page PDF document (PDFpenPro only)
- Create list widgets and pop-ups (PDFpenPro only)
- Create submit button to submit form data via web or email (PDFpenPro only)
- Backend integration enables gathering data from http-submitted forms (PDFpenPro only)
PDFpen 5.0 and PDFpenPro 5.0 require Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). Fully-functional demo versions are available at the Smile website
PDFpen will retail for $59.95 (USD), PDFpenPro for $99.95. Family Pack licenses, which may be used on up to as many as 5 computers in one household, are $74.95 for PDFpen and $119.95 for PDFpenPro. Upgrades from earlier versions of either application are $25.00, and free to users who purchased on or after February 14, 2010. Upgrades from any version of PDFpen to PDFpenPro 5.0 are $40.
Smile makes productivity software for Mac OS X and iOS devices, including PDFpen, the PDF editing software that won an Editors' Choice Award from Macworld and The Mac Observer; TextExpander, the typing shortcut tool that was named a Mac|Life Editor's Choice; TextExpander touch for the iPhone and iPad; DiscLabel, the Macworld Eddy award-winning CD label design program; and PageSender, feature-rich fax software that also received a Macworld Eddy award. Copyright (C) 2010 Smile. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo and Macintosh are registered trademarks of Apple Computer Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.