You are going to like the look of ARTZ ... it's one of the the newest wood type to be cut at Hamilton Wood Type and Printing Museum. It was designed by venerable type designer Erik Spiekermann for his own print studio (P98a in Berlin), specifically to be cut into large size wood type. September 10, 2014
- The 20th Anniversary Fonts Fest Part TWO
- Fonts, lettering and typography surf FOUR
- Jim Parkinson : half-century of typography
- New found free Script fonts for the 20th year!
- Photoshop : Never make a Photoshop or Illustrator Style again!
- Graphic Designers Ask : How much should I charge
- 60-Seconds #315 : LinkedIN thinks 360,000 people, including me, are stupid.
- Creative Update 179 -- Graphic Design Creative Inspiration
- GraphicConverter gets an upgrade, and a New Image Verifier
- Marketing Update : AdWords Etiquette, Content Skills, and do we really trust advertising?
- LightWave 3D Group Ultimate Creativity Bundle with OctaneRender
- &Else: All-In-One Mobile 3D Modeling App rivals 3D workstation software
- &Else: An animated template for graphic seals in FinalCut Pro
- &Else: Awesome new features, Pixelmator may be the Photoshop Killer!
- &Else: Help from ColorLogic's color management for more consistent color results
- This Year's Fonts Fest Poster
- Enjoy September... onward toward October
This is the last of this surf, but now we get to have some real fun watching seasoned professionals with real talent apply real ink in creating some superb lettering! I'm also very pleased to bring the official trailer for the movie "Sign Painter" -- a fantastic documentary on the art, craft and times of sign painting. Later, we'll dig deeper into the documentary, but for now, enjoy the September Fonts surf . . . September 1, 2014
We always meet some awesome talents during the Fonts Festival ... as we do all year long. The next talents were actually suggested by DTG readers throughout the year. We often ask for your suggestions, tips and favorites -- and while we sadly don't get a lot of response, we have gotten some real winners. These are just a few examples of some of the visits we'll be making along this year's surf.
Courtney Jeanette; Julia Ruetten; Erik Marinovich; and The wonderful world of Karen To!
So follow along ... September 1, 2014
My favorite part of the annual fonts fest is just searching for cool entries and resources to share with the DTG readers! If I ever give up the internet publishing thing, this is probably one activity I'll continue in my 60-Second Windows blog. With Pinterest, Tumblr and all the various social image sharing medias, there's no shortage of hunting grounds. You could easily make a full-time job of discovering cool stuff, all day, every day, without seeing the same things twice.
In this first surf for 2014, I'm filtering to the unusual, and off the beaten paths. Much of the surf so far is more about the human interaction with lettering, fonts and typography than the fonts themselves. And of course, that's the most important end result of typography in the first place! September 1, 2014
I was first introduced to Jim Parkinson and his groundbreaking style by my typography teacher Mike McNeal at VCU. One of our first projects was to hand-letter a name by duplicating a style that we found and liked. Well, of course, I chose "Rolling Stone" magazine. August 28, 2014
If you've followed the design center and DTG for more than a few years, then you know there's a real soft spot in our hearts for scripts and handwritten fonts. With a million fonts in the world, hand-lettering is the only real way to be unique . . . these are just a few of the new scripts we've discovered for this year's event . . . August 27, 2014
We've been friends with Jimy Chambers and the P22 fonts foundry for nearly 20 years! We've discussed article ideas, looked at antique fonts, and exchanged countless emails. I've come to respect Jimy and the P22 gang for their interest in preserving the true principles and values of typography and font design. August 27, 2014
MacAppware, a division of 128bit Technologies, announces its Free Fonts collection has been updated with even more fantastic fonts, bringing the new total to 515. The Free Fonts collection is now available on the MacAppware website as a full download of all 515 fonts March 31, 2014
Continuing our surf for cool type & fonts stuff we find totally delicious foods from typography and a delicious lettering body painting! Here, check out these :
* Blue Pencil no. 19—Lettering by Andrew Haslam
* 9 Classic Posters From the London Tube's 150 Year History
* The Art of Hand Lettering
... and more September 25, 2013