Do graphic designers have a social responsibility? Is good design good citizenship? Should graphic designers have a willingness to lie? All these questions are tested and expanded by world-class designer, thinker and author Steven Heller in this interview from the pages of DT&G Magazine May 26, 2015
The spring represents some special interests for graphic designers -- end of school, beginning of the summer buy and travel wave. Here are some starters to get your creative juices flowing :
- Pentagram's New School Rebrand: Best Thing Ever Or Unbearable Monstrosity?
- Perfect archives for collage artists, designers and collectors
- "Happy Town" by Katsumi Tamura wins Golden A' Design Award
- New Photography Acquisitions at Georgia O'Keeffe Museum
- TypeTalk: How Good Typography Can Help Your Job Search
- UVU arts grads present final projects showcase
- Vordik Designer Spotlight: Damian Watracz
- Exhibit shows art of design legend
- Putting a typeface to the name
- ... and more !
When I saw the series of photos shot across 4 decades I knew this was going to be a good edition of Creative Tidbits! Hope you enjoy this edition -- and if you can guess all those circle movie posters, let me know!
- Getting Closer to the California Print Junkie Who Designed Jay Z's "Holy Grail"
- Astonishing series of photographs of four sisters shot every year for 40 years
- Could Graphic Design Help People Better Relate To Each Other?
- Interview : My Instagram: Lauren O'Neil
- Dust & Noise Overlay Textures
- Can you name the movie?
Finding more and more inspiration from people doing creative things! I really enjoyed this edition, particularly the football helmits thing and the iSaber piece . . .
- Design is everything (not made by nature) for Penn State alumnus Chip Kidd
- Meet the Graphic Design Mastermind Behind the Best Part of the Oscars
- Graphic Artists Take Shots At New Steelers Helmet Designs
- Designed by Apple in Tatooine: the iSaber light saber
- Berman: Romancing the ink stains in Eastern Market
- 6 Women Rocking Tech for Good
- ... and more on the way!
For the 20th March, welcome to the first Designing Women edition of 2015. Where do you find creative inspiration? Watching others in the creative processes is the best way to get those creative juices flowing. I thought we would get started a little early because there's so much content to cover. :
- Kemistry's Graham McCallum on 100 years of design changing technology
- 16 Iconic Creations by Architecture and Design Power Couples
- Designing Women: designer becomes top creative 'crowdsourcer'
- This is beading on steroids ... down south of the border
- The Military’s Graphic Design War On Venereal Disease
- Designing Women: New school design and website ...
- The works of Jean Jullien ... an interview
- When Harry Met Sally Met Graphic Design
- 12000 free outline icons
- ... and more !
Getting ready to wrap up the year opens the slow season. However creativity for designers, illustrators, painters, photographers, typographers and anyone involved in the creative processes, or visual communications will not slow down. The need for creative inspiration goes on .... in this edition :
- Polk State Was a Beginning, and Without It, I Wouldn’t Be Where I am Today
- 5 Easy Ways To Create A Brilliant Background For Your LinkedIn Profile
- This Graphic Translates Web Design Feedback into Plain English
- LEGO BRICK: pinhole camera snaps tiny thumbnail-sized 'photos'
- I am the Jackie Robinson of Hip Hop Graphic Design!
- How optical illusions trick your brain
- Art Department Faculty Work Featured at the Kellogg Gallery
- Cincinnati Design Awards honors wide range of local projects
- ... and more!
- Paul McCartney and Nick Cave contribute hand drawn artwork for Alzheimer's Society
- $50 Discount to HOW Design Live Conference in Chicago, May 2015
- The 5 most common design mistakes in digital signage
- What deserves Cincy’s ‘Razzies’ of design?
- Translating print skills to Web design
- 6 Common Mistakes in Logo Design
- ... and more!
Marty Neumeier's new book is a thought-provoking quick start guide to creative brilliance -- and I want to recommend it for anyone who wants to brighten their creative thinking prowess. Read it once. Reade it twice. Use lots of Post-it notes to mark passages ... I guarantee you'll want them again and again! October 22, 2014
Sometimes I run into conversations that I just can't resist passing along. Such is this one I ran across on LinkedIn. But what are your thoughts with asked "What's the most overused font of contemporary design?" I have my ideas, and you'd expect passionate responses from any designer of some background and knowledge. Let's see what the LinkedIn graphic design professionals believe the answer is. . . September 13, 2014
I first published this article in 1996, and then updated and brushed it up in 2001. I was reading an online article by someone else the other day and it copied this article almost word-for-word. So, I thought I would remind everyone that good business practices really don't go out of style -- this is just as valid as it was more than 20 years ago! August 7, 2014