When I saw the reference to this article in a recent email spam, I had to pause. They used the famous quote from Ben Franklin that I have used in my Creative Layout workshops and seminars since the 1980s. I figured anyone who uses that quote must have something intelligent to say. February 12, 2014
In my previous 60-Seconds column I explained an event from my youth that inspired me into the graphic design field. I then asked readers what inspired them into the design fields. Some responses tumbled in, and I asked the same question in several of the LinkedIN groups which concentrate on graphic design. I got zero response in two of the groups, but one produced some good stories. Here are just a few selected comments from readers. January 29, 2014
You've probably seen the design community cult-movement "No SPEC" against spec-work, or seen thousands of complaints from graphic designers about the hack logo sites proliferating online these days. Today I got a press release, for DTG, from "48-hour Logos" a crowd sourcing site offering "contests" for designing logos. I've provided reference links below, but first, consider this December 11, 2013
Our good friend Chuck Green recently made a post to Facebook about the digital colorization of historical photographs. His complaint was followed by a ponderous tome of learned comments from both sides of the isle. An alarm went off in my head. I'm thinking; hey, everyone already knows about that -- but then, do they? So I went digging for all the "Digital Ethics" information that I've written about since the late 1980s and discovered -- OMG: over a decade has gone by! These "newbies" could very well not be informed about Digital Ethics. November 13, 2013
As you know -- things aren't always the way they seem! There are a lot of really down-to-earth lessons our educational system seems to be missing these days in favor of more lofty, perhaps unnecessary, lessons. Today, John McWade sent me a brain teaser that clearly illustrates this point... October 21, 2013
Yes, it's fall fonts fest carry over into October, we're finding some great stuff to share. Send in your creative ideas for the holidays this month! Here we go . . .
* Cutting, carving, etching, gilding designs into glass
* Lights and Glamor mark this design studio's success
* A Design Studio Called Number 17, A Very Short List
* Virus Fonts express the spirit of the age . . .
* Barnbrook -- Studio 12 . . . spells "WOW"
* OMG it's Oliver Munday
... and more ! October 16, 2013
Yes, it's fall fonts fest time again, but before we get into the dozens of items we have for the festival, we're still tracking creative learning in this edition . . .
* New initiative from Quadrant2Design, to cut the cost of graphic design to Zero
* How *Photoshop Brushes* Helps People Develop Their Graphic Design Skills
* 99Designs launches Swiftly: where a design change is $15 an hour
* Graphic design students win north american awards competition
* Design students create posters to tackle loan shark problem
* Minimal Sneaker Study | Jack Stocker’s Nike Exhibit
* Can Good Graphic Design Help The Homeless?
* Five Best Jobs for Those in Print Design
* Varun Nunkoo – Passion, dream and talent
* Summer shirts from Cuckoos Nest
... and more ! September 30, 2013
It's back to (Design) School time again, and we're touching on hundreds of different learning opportunities this month, so hang on to your hats and follow along . . .
* Learning lessons of design and delivering the message
* Lots and lots of portraits on DeviantArt.com . . .
* Portfolio Help from Adobe CS6
* If Facebook Had Designers
* How to learn Photoshop
* A-Z of Unusual Words
... and more ! August 1, 2013
In my pr and news feeds, the latest from the Association of Media & Publishing sent me an article called : Magazine Apps: Why So Bloated? The pad revolution is probably going to be the single savior of the publishing industry. Er, uh, maybe not. June 14, 2013
An interesting look at what jiLee has been up to! Ji Lee was listed as one of the 50 most influential designers in the US ... but his "Bubble" project is probably his best known . . . and now there's more in 'Word As Image' June 6, 2013