Kicking off a brand new year -- 2016 -- with creative update number 201 ! I probably enjoy finding these great discoveries more than you do! There's a lot going on so, enjoy and remember : there's a creative experience around every corner! January 1, 2016
The old 'Spec Work' debacle raises its ugly head again -- I cannot understand why people don't learn. We're also looking at the Google logo, and Adobe lost fonts. Enjoy and don't forget to share your creative inspiration tidbits and discoveries
- Is Spec Work Evil? 12 Agency Execs Discuss the Unchecked Problem
- Create a Laser-Cut Mailer Using Adobe Illustrator and InDesign
- How Magazine Covers Have Changed Over the Past 100 Years
- Google's new logo: why a meh response is actually good
- Is this an infographic or worthless misdirection?
- Adobe Drops Fonts, Leaves Users Stranded
Here we are rolling into the holiday season, but you'll find that creative inspiration for the holidays can work all year long. We have a great line-up this month, which will be in three parts. Enjoy and don't forget to send in your creative inspiration tidbits and discoveries . . .
- 100 Cameras Were Given to the Homeless in London. Here’s What They Captured.
- Artist blends figurative and portraiture elements in works
- 4 Great Design Ideas for Your Association Newsletter
- Graphic Design Festival Scotland returns to Glasgow
- How to not be frightened of your camera
The web design world has gone through some crazy ups and downs in its short 20 year lifetime. It started lean and clean because there was no bandwidth, and the software was so slow. We were connecting on 400 baud modems over dialup. You remember that -- but where's it all going? We don't know, but we'll sure have a good time getting there! August 18, 2015
THREE DECADES AGO, with the advent of electronic publishing and nouveau design practitioners, many either didn't know basic typography, or they didn't care to remember. The roots of type and typography is evidenced in every letter we see. We're taught at a very young age to recognize letter forms. It's a basic common denominator in our society. August 13, 2015
I've been following this thread for a while on LinkedIN, and wanted to share a few selected comments for those of you who have not taken the plunge. There are many out there who really love the Creative Cloud. There are many out there who refuse to jump into the Creative Cloud. August 12, 2015
You may remember my 2002 post about Steven Heller's "Citizen Designer." Milton Glaser often says, "Good design is good citizenship." So, we decided to go out on the limb a decade later and ask the same question amongst a cross section of Designers today. The responses we got are somewhat amazing! Is the graphic designer as accountable as the marketing and publicity departments for the propagation of a message or idea? Be careful, don't answer until you've read this. June 16, 2015
Now that so many have graduated from design schools in the past few weeks, it's time to hit the streets looking for a job. I understand job hunting is tough these days, so it is ever amazing to see how many really, really BAD solicitations we receive. It's amazing. Here another example of a really horrible solicitation. June 15, 2015
Here comes some real fun for graphic deisgners for the summer of 2015 ... enjoy and don't forget to send in your photos from the summer!
- DESIGN VACATION... JUNE 2015
- Photoshop Tutorial : Blazing Fire Sketch Effects
- Citizen Designer : should graphic designers have social responsibility?
- 60-Seconds #323 : Future history - the coming of a Digital Dark Age
- Design Giants Glaser and Bernard Produce Human Rights Magazine
- Masterworks of American Modernism from New York to New Mexico
- Publishing Update 1505-15 : Digital Media, Publishing, content, print, and DTP
- You cannot innovate into the future until you understand the past
- Social Media Update : infographics, strategy, readership, and SEO
- iPad Etiquette: using iPads in your presentations
- Art Authority Announces Year Five of Its Intern Program for Art Majors
- One thing most designers and creative professionals lack that will kill profits
- &Else News, Views and Reviews
- JULY: Digital Photography
- August and Summertime Design
Do graphic designers have a social responsibility? Is good design good citizenship? Should graphic designers have a willingness to lie? All these questions are tested and expanded by world-class designer, thinker and author Steven Heller in this interview from the pages of DT&G Magazine May 26, 2015