DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 23, #8 ~ AUGUST
- BACK TO DESIGN SCHOOL . . .
- Getting ideas and design inspiration by looking at unusual beer bottle label designs
- Product labeling and packaging study for inspiration and design ideas
- Best books for learning Design, Typography & Graphics
- Photoshop (Video) Madness for Back to School
- Tutorial: Using Adobe Photoshop to Draw a Paint Brush
- PSD Tutorial : 4 dotted line drawing methods in Photoshop
- Natural Newborn Baby Photography: A Guide to Posing, Shooting, and Business
- 60-Second Window #300 : Junk Mail Names
- Jordan Rudess brings musical apps to the iPad or iPhone that WOW the world
- Creative Graphic Design: Learning Design, Typography & Graphics
- Creative Inspiration: Sagmeister Happy Show, Design for Good, Awards and more
- Creative learning: Harry Potter design, HOW Design, UCLan Graphic Design, and Awards
- Modern Photo Editor for iOS: Full Resolution Image Editing to 8 MP
- &Else . . . News, Views & Reviews
- ALERTS POSTED : Protect yourself and friends from online evils
- SEPTEMBER: FALL FONTS FESTIVAL
- August is racing toward the fall . . .
Welcome new subscribers
Thanks for subscribing to receive the DTG Newsletter - mailed once per month.
* This month, we welcome new subscribers from www.DTG-Forums.com : Photoshop 911, and the Design Cafe, both at http://www.dtg-forums.com/, and look forward to answering many questions in the forums.
Okay, you saw our previous post taking a surf tour of Tequila labels, right. Well, this time we're looking at beer bottle labels and how they can be a source of graphic design inspiration. Enjoy! Getting ideas and design inspiration by looking at unusual beer bottle label designs
One of the best ways to learn and practice design, typography and illustration is to emulate (not "copy") the works of others. Like this collection of wonderfully unique and rare bottles and bottle labels for Tequila! Here are designs you probably won't find in your local stores . . . enjoy
Each year I like to do a round-up of the design books we've reviewed -- but this year is different. There have been so few published I'm including several from previous years. While the digital book, ebook and Kindle books have become hugely popular -- when it comes to learning graphic design, printed books still have the most power for learning. Buy any (all) of these, and you'll automatically know more than most other designers in your market.
Here's a special edition of PHOTOSHOP MADNESS specifically focusing on VIDEO training. There are 100,000 videos on the open web, all claiming to be the 'best' Photoshop training . . . some are really good, like those from Russell Brown, or Lynda Weinman, and others really, really suck, like those with horrible microphones, terrible screen graphcs or moderators you cannot understand or who cannot speak proper English. But these are pretty good :
* How To Get Started With Photoshop CS6 - 10 Things Beginners Want to Know
* Photoshop CS6: Photoshop: How to use the Color Replacement Tool
* Colorizing Black and White Images with Adobe Photoshop Touch
* From Lynda.com : Photoshop CS6 Brightness interface
* Photoshop - Dramatic Broken Glass
* Photoshop CS6: Using Presets
... and MOREPhotoshop (Video) Madness for Back to School
We're back with another good tutorial for "Back to Design School" month, and this time we're with Santosh Kashyap from TutorialBunch.com, and his tutorial on drawing a paint brush. It's interesting because of some of the techniques you'll be happy you learned. Tutorial: Using Adobe Photoshop to Draw a Paint Brush
Here's another notable tutorial from Winbluegod from 4-designer.com. This full Photoshop tutorial covers 4 different drawing methods for creating dotted lines in Photoshop. We know it's easy to generate all kinds of dotted lines in Illustrator, but Photoshop just doesn't have that skill set. So Winbluegod has these alternative methods for dotted lines in Photoshop. PSD Tutorial : 4 dotted line drawing methods in Photoshop
Little toes, pursed lips, and tiny hands -- newborn photography is a rapidly growing market and professional photographers are eager to jump in. To work with and pose a 5- to 10-day-old infant demands special skills, keeping the child safe and the new parents comfortable, while capturing the subject’s raw and natural beauty. Natural Newborn Baby Photography: A Guide to Posing, Shooting, and Business
You know you've made it when Google recognizes ghost names you made up a decade ago. But there's more to this story -- as I discovered one of my pseudo names from the past is a real live person! Yikes!!!
I know that many of you are musicians or involved with audio production in some form or another. These apps are the ultimate for anyone even slightly interested in music . . . Jordan Rudess is the icon of the biz! Enjoy . . .
* Immerse yourself in the wonders of a visual/audio experience like no other!
* SampleWiz inputs, outputs, generates, samples simultaneously
* MorphWiz is the second app to bear the Jordan Rudess name
* Tachyon - unique musical expressive power for iPad
* Aurora Sound Studio makes great music on your iPad
* Geo Synthesizer : all that is good in synth
Rock on, baby!Jordan Rudess brings musical apps to the iPad or iPhone that WOW the world
It's back to (Design) School time again, and we're touching on hundreds of different learning opportunities this month, so hang on to your hats and follow along . . .
* Learning lessons of design and delivering the message
* Lots and lots of portraits on DeviantArt.com . . .
* Portfolio Help from Adobe CS6
* If Facebook Had Designers
* How to learn Photoshop
* A-Z of Unusual Words
... and more !Creative Graphic Design: Learning Design, Typography & Graphics
Hope you've had a great summer, as many of us continue back into the school season, here are some great inspirations and idea starters for August . . .
* Stefan Sagmeister’s The Happy Show Is at the Chicago Cultural Center
* 'Revel on the Block' promotes creativity, community and local business
* Students Recognized by 'Design for Good' Project
* Winners of SEGD Global Design Awards 2013
* Trust me, you’re not a graphic designer
* Contemporary Arts Museum gets graphic
... and more Creative Inspiration: Sagmeister Happy Show, Design for Good, Awards and more
We're rolling into the school season with Back to Design School, here are some great inspirations and idea starters to get you moving to September . . .
* Meet The Duo Behind The Graphic Design Wizardry Of "Harry Potter”
* The Next Closest Thing to HOW Design Live
* The first issue of Container 'magazine'
* Talent Spotters: UCLan Graphic Design
* New - Xara Page & Layout Designer
* Jamie wins top national award
... and more
Indie developer Jeffrey Sun brings you the Modern Photo Editor 1.7.1 for iOS, an update to his powerful, full resolution, image editing app, which is one of the few apps of its kind capable of processing and saving photos shot at full resolution on the iPhone's 8-megapixel, iSight camera.Modern Photo Editor for iOS: Full Resolution Image Editing to 8 MP
Our &Else column this month is full of very interesting and cool stuff including
* Design on the road: Pen-sized Scanner Scans a Full Page at 600dp in 4 Seconds
* NevronMotion Transforms Mocap in LightWave - capture motion for 3D rendering
* Artivist Announces Celebrity Honorees For 2013 Artivist Awards
* Lightwave : Award-winning 3D modeling, animation and rendering
* Leading Photo and Video Pioneer Expands Retail With Cube 3D
* Package Central Is Updated to Support Adobe InDesign CC
* Tiffen Photo fx Ultra Wins a Highly Coveted TIPA Award
* and more ... &Else . . . News, Views & Reviews
As many of you may already know, I'm a volunteer for the User Group Network News Service since 1994. As part of that community service, I work with Safenetting.com, Knujon.com and SpamCop.net identifying cyber threats, and warning the community. I've started posting alerts to both the UGNN Facebook page, and my own page at Pinterest. There are three new threats today, all intending on spoofing well known retail merchants : Kohls, Apple's iTunes, and PayPal. Please be careful -- and DO NOT CLICK on any links you get in email, until you fully understand where those links will take you. See the UGNN Safenetting Pinterest page -- and please share, pin or post those notifications. The more people who know about the threats, the less victims will join the ranks of cybercrime statistics. ALERTS POSTED : Protect yourself and friends from online evils
YES, it's that time of year again, when we celebrate all things about fonts, type and typography! You can WIN some of our valuable prizes, including the highly collectable "International Type Founders" fonts book (2 of these) by sharing with DT&G readers. I'm giving away as many prizes as we have entries until I'm all out of prizes. So we're turning to YOU to share your comments about type and typography! Just REGISTER FOR PRIZES here with your comments about:
* Favorite fonts, and where to download them
* Most thrilling typography layout
* Unique and creative use of type
* Pros and Cons of different type faces
* Typography that sucks ... the Good, Bad and Ugly ...
Post Here to WIN : SEPTEMBER: FALL FONTS FESTIVAL
Before you know it, August will be over. Enjoy the last vestages of summer while you can. It's a busy month for everyone.
AUGUST is brought to you by the color GREEN -- quite often the color representing education, learning, and growth! Green is also the color of Peridot, which is the official August Stone
And, as for this month, well, you've already wasted a perfectly good hour reading the DTG newsletter. Hopefully all is not wasted and you've gained at least one helpful tidbit of info.
Thanks for reading...
"I have never let my schooling
interfere with my education."
Graphic Design & Publishing Center
Don't forget ... we encourage you to share your discoveries about favorite or famous graphic designers and illustrators with other readers. Just contact me.
- Subscribe to DTG News so you'll get the email each month!
- Send in your tutorials - Share with all our readers
- Show us your Portfolio? - We'd like to see your work
- JOIN DTG on FaceBook - we're having lots of fun there
- Follow on Twitter - Get the news as it happens
- Follow on RSS - Full listings of content
- Contact us - Let us know what's happening with you
- Contribute articles - Our readers would like to hear from you
- Contribute support - Help us keep this free publication online
- Get Linked - Text Links and Newsletter posts in DTG
-------------------------------------------------------------------- ........ The Design & Publishing Center's DT&G Magazine ....... ...... is the longest established electronic publication ...... .............. in the industry with continuing ................ ........... high content/low noise information for ............ . designers, publishers, and communication arts practitioners . ............... http://www.graphic-design.com/ ................ ............ copyright 2013, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED .............. --------------------------------------------------------------------