DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 22, #12 ~ December, 2012
- DECEMBER Happy Holidays
- Secrets of Designing a good Logo
- Photoshop Madness for the holidays
- Photoshop Tutorial: Festive Postcard ready to print!
- Web Critique : GoBop Festival and Event Website
- Favorite Photography books
- CREATIVE Tidbits : Holidays
- Social Media Update : November
- 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People
- iWork gets a new collection of Elements for Desktop Publishing
- Top 10 Tips for Self-Publishing Success
- Your photos make the perfect Wall Calendars gifts
- Transform your Photos and Videos into Professional Pencil Drawings
- Logoist makes cool effects, not logos
- Cinefy is an Amazing Mobile Video Special FX Studio
- Photo Sense 1.8.0: The Easiest Photo Editing Software for Mac and iOS
- Photoca iOS - Advanced Photo Editor Creates Pop Art Masterworks
- The Top Ten Things Everyone Should Know About Fonts
- Google’s Remarketing for Search could have huge impact
- The Sustainability of Tablets
- The Top Tech Gifts This Season
- December's Twelve gives way to THIRTEEN!
...the holiday season is here and we're having a great time ... share your creations and holiday promotion ideas with DTG readers and win a prize! This month some interesting learning aids -- particularly for logo design. I've had a couple of rude awakenings over people's training for logo design. We've also opened the Publishers' Warehouse Holiday Gifts shelf for you, with hundreds of completely FREE design and publishing aids. Help yourself, and have a great holiday season.
Over the years I've seen them all -- and from time to time, when I see someone giving out design advice online, I'll ask: where did you obtain your formal training? Many times, they'll confess they have no formal training. I recently followed a discussion in a Designer's forum about designing logos. A person asked the group to share their "secret tactics" ... here's what they said : Secrets of Designing a good Logo
PHOTOSHOP MADNESS is where you practically go mad trying to find the most useful stuff for Photoshop! You can believe we went totally mad when we got caught in a stalker site, supposedly of "great Photoshop downloads" and couldn't get out! The only thing we could do was shut down the computer -- which lost a bunch of work on this month's column. Sheesh. We did find these Adobe Photoshop items for the 2012 Holiday Photoshop Madness surf . . .
* Create Christmas Greeting Card with CS6
* Photo to aquarel painting tutorial
* A Simple Christmas Star tutorial
* Amazing Christmas Card
* Some Christmas Dock Icons
* A Merry Christmas Tree
... and more! C'mon in for ... Photoshop Madness for the holidays
Ainsley Bevis shares this Photoshop tutorial to help you learn how to make a Christmas theme print-ready postcard in Photoshop!you'll be designing the front and back of the postcard using various shapes and helpful methods -- as well as opportunities for customization! Print at home, or I've provided the 'work-n-turn' method for running quantity! Have fun with this ... Photoshop Tutorial: Festive Postcard ready to print!
In the WebDesign-Review section, the developer of the "GoBop" asked webdesign attendees to comment on their new site. Since we love travel, events, dining and so forth, we decided to take a look . . . we liked what we saw! What do YOU think?
Everyone has a camera ... probably a digital camera or a cell phone. Most people I know who own iPhones have dropped their cameras in favor of the phone. Then, others have purchased more expensive, SLR or better, cameras and want to expand the range of their capabilities. Here's a new list of selected titles to make you a better photographer . . .
* The HDRI Handbook 2.0: High Dynamic Range Imaging for Photographers
* The Lens: A Practical Guide for the Creative Photographer
* Masterclass: Professional Studio Photography
* The Photograph: Composition and Color Design
* Sixty Tips for Creative iPhone Photography
* Create Your Own Photo Book, 1st Edition
* Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4
* Great Photos - Simple Cameras
* Mastering the Nikon D800
* Tone Poems - Book 1
* Panobook 2012
... they also make great gifts for the photographer in your life!
Creative inspiration is not always easy -- but it can come in the most unexpected forms and places. Follow along with this edition of Creative Tidbits:
* Hurricane Sandy relief floods in from college student’s T-Shirt graphic
* New Exhibition Explores Influence Of Punk Movement On Art And Graphic
* Goodwill & Art Center College of Design Upcycling Collaboration
* Iconic graphic designer Vaughan Oliver on Visceral Pleasures
* Students putting color back into drab Main Street building
* UK’s first student type foundry is Ôfont’ of knowledge
* Behold, The Phaidon Archive of Graphic Design
* Graphic designer to talk 'social change'
* Pedro Paulino's Portfolio
* Selling Design in 1942 . . . In the Creative department of the Design Center :
Here we go ... the holidays season shifts into high gear and social media is humming -- good information for all online users, designers and marketers :
* 11-point checklist for a healthy social media strategy
* Young People Not Quite Ready for Twitter Primetime
* 26 Tips for Managing a Social Media Community
* The 10 Keys to Optimizing Facebook Engagement
* 4 Ways to Improve Your Google+ Engagement
.... and the continuing world of social media and networking
In today's over-saturated media world, it's outstanding that someone still teaches these design principles. Young designers are getting their education from YouTube, tutorial pushers and tens of thousands of unqualified bloggers. Dr. Susan Weinschenk teaches you lessons of how people see and think -- important lessons for visual communicators and graphic designers. Learn them well.
Jumsoft creates some of the best graphic icons and spot illustrations in the industry - their designs for Mac OS X iWork are seriously unrivaled! Here are 385 new pieces, which can be used to illustrate slideshows, invitations, posters, newsletters, e-books, or just about any kind of content that lacks a creative touch. desktop-publishing/iwork_elements
The SHAKESPEARE System -- With creative marketing, self-published independent author Matthew Mather quickly reached #1 on the Amazon Science Fiction best-seller list with his first novel, The Atopia Chronicles, surpassing 40,000 copies shipped in its first ten weeks. He is now sharing his SHAKESPEARE system of . . . 11 tips to help new authors achieve their own self-publishing success.
iPhone and iPad users who want to design an amazing, full color wall calendar, either for their personal use, to give to someone special or as the perfect Christmas gift for friends and family, can now download the innovative new app . . . PhotoCal - Your Printed Photo Calendar
I cannot count the times we've been asked for this technique -- Photoshop 911 has several tutorials on this, but people are lazy and don't want to learn anything new! Well here's the app -- for iPhone/iPad anyway -- that does it all for you . . . photo_to_pencil_drawings
From time to time we get releases or review copies of software they developer calls "logo" software of some kind. There are lots of software programs that help you style or produce logos, but there are NONE that can design logos for you. So no matter how compelling, never believe that software can "design" for you . . . Logoist has a lot of styling and effects power -- so you'll want to . . . take a look!
Imagine creating your own version of Hollywood classics -- how about filming yourself running from a giant T-Rex; all of that is possible, and more. Cinefy will export directly to the camera roll. Users can then upload to Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo, or anywhere they please -- for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Photo Sense is a powerful, but very easy to use photo editing software for Mac OS and iOS. Its younger brother Photo Sense Lite is also updated to version 1.2.0 -- Photo Sense 1.8.0: The Easiest Photo Editing Software for Mac and iOS
A lot of attention is being poured into the IOS scene these days -- and the photo apps just keep getting better and better. Many of these apps -- like this one -- rival the most sophisticated software and equipment. Photoca is a real pleasure to work with -- and can put some real tricks up your sleeve
We really want to thank Jill Bell for sending in her top ten useful tips to help you get to know, love and use fonts better! Wow! Jill's a typographer and type designer for ITC, Monotype and Adobe -- it's fun!
Greenlight Marketers urged to get on board with Google’s latest Remarketing for Search product or get left behind -- www.ugnn.com
Special thanks to Uberflip for sending this .. infographic
Marketing updates for designers, agencies, marketers and public relations HighBeam Research Ranks the Most Mentioned Gadgets Ñ Gizmos and gadgets are at the top of many gift lists this year, but where are these new tech devices ranking in the media?
Are you worried by the number thirteen? You don't have to be. Thirteen will be a good year.
December is brought to you by "REDS" and "GREENS" ... the colors of Christmas!
* December is brought to you by the letter "D"
Publishers' Warehouse presents Holiday Gifts
Stop by the Loading dock and pick up your gifts from everyone here at the Design Center. Loads of stuff ... something for everyone. Don't forget to stop in the coloring book section for tons of coloring pages for the kids!
Can you make a difference?
Every year we ask the same question. Did you make a difference last year? Did you make a difference in someone else's life? Did you make your community a better place to live in? This is so important all year long -- but we seem to think about it mostly during the Christmas holiday season. No matter how or why you celebrate this season, please think about doing meaningful work for your fellow man. Contribute some time and labor. Donate some money. The world will be a better place if you do!
thanks for reading!
Parting words for December "GIFTS"...
"The excellence of a gift lies in
its appropriateness rather than in its value."
Charles Dudley Warner
"The artist is nothing without the gift,
but the gift is nothing without work."
- Emile Zola (1840-1902)
Graphic Design & Publishing Center
Don't forget ... we encourage you to share your discoveries about favorite or famous graphic designers and illustrators with other readers. Just contact me.
- Subscribe to DTG News so you'll get the email each month!
- Send in your tutorials - Share with all our readers
- Show us your Portfolio? - We'd like to see your work
- JOIN DTG on FaceBook - we're having lots of fun there
- Follow on Twitter - Get the news as it happens
- Follow on RSS - Full listings of content
- Contact us - Let us know what's happening with you
- Contribute articles - Our readers would like to hear from you
- Contribute support - Help us keep this free publication online
- Get Linked - Text Links and Newsletter posts in DTG
-------------------------------------------------------------------- ........ The Design & Publishing Center's DT&G Magazine ....... ...... is the longest established electronic publication ...... .............. in the industry with continuing ................ ........... high content/low noise information for ............ . designers, publishers, and communication arts practitioners . ............... http://www.graphic-design.com/ ................ ............ copyright 2012, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED .............. --------------------------------------------------------------------