DTG Newsletter ~ Vol. 22, #8 ~ AUGUST, 2012
- August: Back To School
- Tutorial : Easy magazine cover in Photoshop
- Photoshop (EDU) madness
- Photoshop (AUGUST) Madness
- Photoshop CS6: Filters for Lens Distortions
- 10% OFF Colin Smith's PHOTOSHOP CS6 ROADSHOW
- Adobe InDesign CS6: Paragraph Composers & Tabs
- EDU : Use the Field Blur Filter in Photoshop CS6
- EDU : Collect for Output for Adobe Illustrator CS6
- EDU : Effects in Adobe InDesign CS6 : Transparency
- EDU : Adobe InDesign CS6 : Paragraph & Character Styles
- EDU : Expanding Your Photography Portfolio
- EDU : Nikon DSLR learning, training
- 60-Seconds : My apology to all our readers
- Cloud Rendering for 3D Artists and Architects
- Script Arsenal for Photoshop
- Marketing Update : Back to (Design) School
- CREATIVE Tidbits : Awards to Crowdsourcing
- &ELSE News, Views & Reviews
- Have a great August
I might be pushing things a bit, but most schools are starting back the second week of August this year, and JMU classes start on the 25th. So we'll call this our "back to school" edition. And as fall approaches, and at least some of us turn our sites toward education, all DTG readers should remember it's never too late to learn new stuff.
We always like getting tutorials like this one sent in by Udrea Mihai, because his is easy to complete, easy to understand, and teaches some of the most important functions in Photoshop. We'll isolate an image from the background, then utilize that technique to create a magazine cover. create a magazine cover.
This month we'll actually try to learn something in Photoshop Madness ... a 2nd edition is in the works, stay tuned . . . this time :
* Retouch a Model Portrait with Flawless Natural Skin
* Drawing Effect Making Hair for Cartoon
* Photoshopping an Action Movie Poster
* Create liquid effects in Photoshop
* Develop a Fantastic Car
* Beautify and Retouch
http://ow.ly/cNrCP Photoshop (EDU) madness
PHOTOSHOP MADNESS is where you practically go mad trying to find the most useful stuff for Photoshop! This episode has no theme, but just visits some items that should interest all Photoshop users including :
* Enlarging is only as good as your Interpolation
* 3D Interpretations of Real People, by Michael O.
* Enlarging Jpg Files Test site
* Mr. Biggs Duz Illustrations * Unbelievable pile of work
* I am Not an Artist
. . . WHAT ? No? It's MADNESS! Photoshop (AUGUST) Madness
Everyone's talking about some of the awesome new features of Adobe Photoshop CS6 ... a "game changer" they're calling it . . . for this edition, we're going to study the aspects of removing distortions with the adaptive wide angle filter in Photoshop CS6 Filters for Lens Distortions
RouteCS6 Photoshop CS6 seminar tour with Colin Smith ... 15 select cities for the Photoshop learning experience of a lifetime. Sponsored by Adobe and hosted by one of the largest Photoshop and Photography resources ... get the DTG coupon code to take 10% off!
The powers of desktop publishing programs is in their ability to help automate much of the tedium and repetitive tasks associated with DTP. Now, Adobe InDesign CS6 borrows all the best capabilities from RSG, PageMaker, FrameMaker and QuarkExpress to evolve the ultimage publishing platform. In this edition, you'll be learning about and working with paragraph composers and tabs in InDesign CS6...
This tutorial is from Photoshop CS6: Visual QuickStart Guide -- Teaching you how to use the Field Blur filter, which is handy when you need the most flexibility and control in blurring specific areas of an image while keeping other (more important) areas in sharp focus. Field Blur Filter in Photoshop CS6
Your project is only so good as your prepared files. If it's not output correctly, you're dead. Code Line announces a free update to its popular "Collect for Output" application, Art Files 2 for Mac. http://ow.ly/cNrhL Collect for Output for Adobe Illustrator CS6
This excerpt from Adobe InDesign CS6 Classroom in a Book shows you how to apply transparency by using the nine transparency effects in InDesign. Transparency can be a highly powerful visual device to use in your publications! http://ow.ly/cNrCP EDU : Effects in Adobe InDesign CS6 : Transparency
The powers of desktop publishing programs is in their ability to help automate much of the tedium and repetitive tasks associated with DTP. Now, Adobe InDesign CS6 borrows all the best capabilities from RSG, PageMaker, FrameMaker and QuarkExpress to evolve the ultimage publishing platform. In this edition, you'll be learning about and working with paragraph and character styles ... style sheets in InDesign CS6... EDU : Adobe InDesign CS6 : Paragraph & Character Styles
This excerpt from Exposed: Inside the Life and Images of a Pro Photographer focuses on four images that Michael Clark created in an effort to expand his photography portfolio. He explains the genesis of each image, how the images were shot, the gear involved, and how they were worked up in Lightroom and Photoshop so you can see the entire process from start to finish.
If you got the DSLR camera, then you'd better learn it well! D3s DSLR 2.0 for iOS, provides quick, easy access to information by allowing the user to "drill down" through a topic, just like using the camera menus. The app also includes a handy list of D3S Quick Specs, a troubleshooting checklist, error messages, and much more. Learn it! http://ow.ly/cNtv3 Nikon DSLR learning, training
My apologies to all DTG readers who have enjoyed the Publishers's Warehouse and the treasure trove of resources and links there -- but who have found broken links, or links that send them off someplace they didn't expect to go. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about other online resources, and we have no real control over other sites that seem legit, but are not. My apologies to all DTG readers
One problem with high end rendering projects ... they take hours to days to complete. This new on-demand cloud rendering service takes advantage of distributed rendering in V-Ray 2.0 software -- includes the ability to control and monitor rendering on the desktop
Script Arsenal is a handy catalog allowing you to manage and apply your Photoshop scripts. It comes to you with 100+ scripts for creating various effects and streamlining your everyday workflow. Script Arsenal for Photoshop
Rolling toward August with marketing tips and tricks all designers, and developers need to know . . . it's BACK TO (Design) SCHOOL ... this issue: * Why content marketing is a great SEO strategy, not a short-term tactic * How to Tackle Your Most Aggravating Social Media Marketing Pet Peeves * Content marketing metrics: How to drive action instead of reaction * 7 expert email marketing tips you're probably missing out on * How To Prevent Your Newsletter Emails From Ending In Spam * Breathe new life into your marketing with visual content * PR teams can boost SEO (and sales) through Twitter * Study: Video Boosts Mobile Ad Engagement Rates * Eliminate 'to be' verbs in business writing * 7 reasons your PR efforts aren't working * In synch with synchronized marketing * 7 tips for creating amazing videos ... and more Marketing Update : Back to (Design) School
Creativity comes in many different forms. From Universities to Awards to crowdsourcing, the creative world is ever changing, as you'll see in this week's edition of Creative Tidbits Can creativity be 'learned' ... or is it already in your genes when you're born. The latest research suggests that we use "creativity" as a catchall term for a variety of cognitive tools, each of which applies to different kinds of stimulus as we see in this month's edition of Creative Tidbits: * Notes from Book Expo America 2012: Evolving Role of Designers in Publishing * School of Illustration Student Creates Hand Drawn Video Game * Warsaw International Poster Biennial awards Iran's Mahdian * Graphic Designers Need to Learn Craftier Environmental PR * Six Essential Artists and A Lot of Tequila * Will Design for Change ... and more ! CREATIVE Tidbits : Awards to Crowdsourcing
This month's &Else news, views and reviews is too much to include each burst in this newsletter ... but there is everything &else ...
* Awesome Calendar 2.0 Includes Sync To Google Tasks Feature
* iPhone Scan, Print, Fax, Download and Store Documents
* Time Tracking and Billing for Freelancers
* Top Spelling App For Literacy Education
* Pan and Zoom Plugin for Final Cut Pro X
* Shoot and simultaneously edit video
... and others! &ELSE News, Views & Reviews
Staying on track for the month, the Publishers' Warehouse has a slew of new Photoshop tutorials -- including awesome Photoshop CS6 Video Tutorials along with new rounds of clip art and goodies.
* AUGUST is brought to you by the letter "A" http://ow.ly/cNA2P * August is brought to you by TWO COLORS
* . . . peridot green http://ow.ly/cNAwO
* . . . and the earthy beauty of sardonyx http://ow.ly/cNAEU, ... http://ow.ly/cNBc0
Thanks for reading... go forth, be creative and learn something!
Parting words: on the subject of Learning
"Personally Im always ready to learn...
although I do not always like being taught."
Graphic Design & Publishing Center
Don't forget ... we encourage you to share your discoveries about favorite or famous graphic designers and illustrators with other readers. Just contact me.
- Subscribe to DTG News so you'll get the email each month!
- Send in your tutorials - Share with all our readers
- Show us your Portfolio? - We'd like to see your work
- JOIN DTG on FaceBook - we're having lots of fun there
- Follow on Twitter - Get the news as it happens
- Follow on RSS - Full listings of content
- Contact us - Let us know what's happening with you
- Contribute articles - Our readers would like to hear from you
- Contribute support - Help us keep this free publication online
- Get Linked - Text Links and Newsletter posts in DTG
-------------------------------------------------------------------- ........ The Design & Publishing Center's DT&G Magazine ....... ...... is the longest established electronic publication ...... .............. in the industry with continuing ................ ........... high content/low noise information for ............ . designers, publishers, and communication arts practitioners . ............... http://www.graphic-design.com/ ................ ............ copyright 2012, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED .............. --------------------------------------------------------------------